Halflings: An Identity Crisis

Zarithar

Adventurer
What's with halflings?

A brief history which I'm sure everyone is aware of:

AD&D 1e and 2e: Halflings are basically Middle-Earth Hobbits, hairy feet and all. There is nothing wrong with this in my opinion, and they made some of the best thieves in the game due to their racial bonuses/abilities.

D&D 3e: Halflings morph into l33t mini ninja warriors which are almost non-distinguishable from humans save for height.

D&D 4e: They are now nomadic river gypsies who specialize in animal training.

What is going on here... and why did WoTC feel the need to change them so drastically from their original iteration? Tolkienesque hobbits are COOL... why ruin a good thing? Character's like Salvatore's Regis "Rumblebelly" must be having a serious identity crisis (he began life as a classic "hobbit")

The dwarves and elves remain close to the Tolkien archetype... so why the drastic change in halflings?

mhensley

First Post
Zarithar said:
why did WoTC feel the need to change them so drastically from their original iteration? Tolkienesque hobbits are COOL... why ruin a good thing? Character's like Salvatore's Regis "Rumblebelly" must be having a serious identity crisis (he began life as a classic "hobbit")

The dwarves and elves remain close to the Tolkien archetype... so why the drastic change in halflings?

I feel exactly the same way.

Corinth

First Post
Halflings are hobbits. WOTC needs to quit trying to make them into something that they're not. Embrace Tolkien's best creation and be done with it.

Zarithar said:
What is going on here... and why did WoTC feel the need to change them so drastically from their original iteration? Tolkienesque hobbits are COOL... why ruin a good thing?

I strongly suspect WotC's market research indicates precisely the opposite.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Ruin Explorer said:
I strongly suspect WotC's market research indicates precisely the opposite.

It's funny that their market research didn't include (arguably) the most popular and influential fantasy series of all time.

JA_Reave

First Post
The problem is there's just no good niche for halflings in a world that has humans and dwarves. In all honesty, IMO, they should have just dropped halflings from 4e core books altogether.

Remove ads