• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Shoot, I came from the ugly side of the family., too. I have some damn hot cousins- one of them knew most of the young cops in NOLA, and none of them would EVER write her a ticket.

(So the stories go.)

OTOH, I also come from the sane side of the family. That one I just mentioned? She, her sister, and their mom used to have fights that went as far as throwing stuff. At each other. In the trash. Out the door. SHE once trapped her 6’ tall, 220lb Marine boyfriend in the pantry one day, and no one would rescue him.

(And she dumped him!)

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Woman can be hot, sane, or smart but they can't be all 3.

As for my comment earlier. I've heard stories. Like my great grandmother was part of the Bentley as in the automobile family but one of the poor distant relatives.

I was talking about the civil rights era and segregation specifically. I think I had seen so many videos and movies I never thought to talk to someone that lived during the time. I'm curious to find out in what ways it impacted them. I think my mom did mention once her school was desegregated.

Not much i can add. Had a Great Grandfather in Scotland that fell out of his fishing boat and drowned due to his wadders filling with water. Found a few days later with crabs going in / out of his month. A Great Nephew that at the age of 16 looked 30. Used to seduce women twice his age. Committed suicide with a train.

From there my Grandfather came here on a ship from Scotland. My other Grandfather had a 5th grade education but studied and got his license to operate large ships in the NYC area. Involves calculus and the such. Self taught.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My paternal grandfather was the first black principal of an all-white school in NOLA. Even more impressive was that it wasn’t one of the older ones in a lower income area. It was a NEW one in a relatively upscale area, and he was its very first principal.

That man was a local legend, the kind of educator movies get made of. He educated, suspended or expelled some of the city’s best and brightest.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Woman can be hot, sane, or smart but they can't be all 3.

As for my comment earlier. I've heard stories. Like my great grandmother was part of the Bentley as in the automobile family but one of the poor distant relatives.

I was talking about the civil rights era and segregation specifically. I think I had seen so many videos and movies I never thought to talk to someone that lived during the time. I'm curious to find out in what ways it impacted them. I think my mom did mention once her school was desegregated.
My great grandmother was a modiste- a highly skilled seamstress who specializes in high-end clothing such as one might wear to a formal society ball, fancy dress party, or wedding dresses. She was black and Jewish, related to one of NOLA’s wealthier families- they owned a higher-end department store.

Because she was black (but light-skinned), she normally would have had to go through servant entries of stores like that. But because she was family- even if not usually publicly recognized as such- she could go in the front doors like anyone else. When she shopped there with my grandmother or mom, they treated her like royalty, too- got her a seat, gave her coffee in the good china, etc.

And apparently, she was skilled enough she could tell white clients “No.”

She didn’t go downtown much when I knew her, but she could still call them up and have them deliver sewing supplies on credit. They buried her in her favorite spike heeled shoes.

Aeson

My manager and friend quit the paper last night. She'd been there 8 years. She called me crying to tell me. Later she said the crying was not because she was upset, more relieved. She felt that she was being used. She often had to do the work of other managers by driving routes in their districts. She said they often talked down to her.

She primarily kept the job for the insurance. Her day job paid better but didn't provide insurance. I told her not to rush to find another job. I wanted her to take time and spend it with her sons. She's told me many times they hated that she worked too much. I said she needs to spend time with them, they may grow up resenting her for not being there. I don't think being a Trumpist she'll go for signing up for Obamacare. But she left her job in time to sign up for it.

Aeson

Because of the election we didn't get our papers until 3:30 am. I finished a little after 8am. It might have been a record for me. Most nights it takes me nearly 6 hours. And I squished a squirrel. I couldn't avoid it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have hit very few critters. In each case, I had no option.

But the squirrel that ran under my car BETWEEN the front and back wheels was the weirdest.

Aeson

I think I grazed a coyote yesterday morning. I was on a 4 lane divided highway. It got out to the middle grass median and turned back. I barely saw it the first time. What I saw was the motion of it more than the form of it. I'm unclear on why it turned back. No one was coming from the other direction. It would have been safer to keep going.

I'm not sure how bad I hit it. I didn't run it over. It had almost cleared the front of the car. In those situations I don't know what to do. If it was wounded and I tried to help, it might try to bite me to protect itself. I thought it safer to just keep going.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads