• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
When i first started teaching English in Turkey, I was a bit confused when my class would giggle at odd times for no apparent reason. At the end of class, one of the students explained to me that my habitual filler word, "Umm...", sounded much like a less-than-polite Turkish word for a part of the female anatomy.
I quickly learned to suppress all my extraneous verbal ticks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When i first started teaching English in Turkey, I was a bit confused when my class would giggle at odd times for no apparent reason. At the end of class, one of the students explained to me that my habitual filler word, "Umm...", sounded much like a less-than-polite Turkish word for a part of the female anatomy.
An illustration of the comedy of “false friends” From Top Gear:

[In Albania]
Richard: This is the perfect car for the job.
Jeremy: ...you can't say that.
Richard: What?
Jeremy: You can't say that word, the 'C' word.
Richard: Well, I didn't, did I?
Jeremy: [laughs] no, not that 'C' word, the other 'C' word.
Richard: ..."Car"?
Jeremy: Yes. You can't say that. Car here means... "Gentleman sausage".
[...]
Richard: But we do a car show!
Jeremy: Yes, but you can't say car. Or peach.
James: Peach?
Jeremy: Don't say peach.
Richard: What does that mean?
Jeremy: [gestures] "Lady garden".

See also the exchange student who asked for “a rubber” in class, and my friend who, at Heathrow, was asked, “Fag?”

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
So there were only smiles (and no laughter) when she finally served them their “ass-cream” sundaes.
Did your order the ass-cream covered with fuh'gen peanuz?

Side note, some of my GF's friends know some english and they were talking about english accents and how difficult it is to understand what is being said. My response was to pull out a youtube video of people talking in appalachian. Her friend's response was "You're ****ing with me right?"

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer

It's hard to tell if my GF's verbal ticks are just Chilean Spanish words or if she is cussing everyone out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did your order the ass-cream covered with fuh'gen peanuz?

Side note, some of my GF's friends know some english and they were talking about english accents and how difficult it is to understand what is being said. My response was to pull out a youtube video of people talking in appalachian. Her friend's response was "You're ****ing with me right?"
All of my grandparents AND my Mom were teachers in NOLA, in the early grades, HS, or college. There’s more than one difficult accent around there,

Besides standard New Orleanean, there’s the people who live in the bayous who speak mostly a patois of French, Italian and English. Then there’s the local version of “Ebonics”. And then there’s these little micro-regional accents.

Mom encountered a student with one such. She asked one of the other, more urban students what he was saying, and they said it was hard to understand him. because he came from “the Cut”, where people talk funny.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I talked to my manager about earning more money without taking on a 3rd route. I was approached tonight with being a service driver. They're the ones that redeliver if a customer complained. This would add an extra 20+ hours to my week. I already work around 40 hours 7 days a week. Last night I heard Sean Hannity suggesting if you want more money work 70, 80, 90 hours a week like he does. Where does this come from? Why would anyone want to work that much? I could do it. I'd work 60+ hours like Sean. I wouldn't make nearly as much as he does. No where close of a quarter of what he makes.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Just came home from a Rammstein concert. Been waiting 2 years for this. Yeah they delivered. Massiv lightshow and the pyrotechnics was in a league of its own. This was in the top 5 best concerts I have seen (maybe even top 3)...

And last week I saw Iron Maiden. They were ok.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads