Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix SPOILERS!!!

Vocenoctum

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Yep. very true. I got the idea from reading the books that the Wizarding world is much harsher than normal, heck the Tri-Wizard tourney was known to be fatal and kids took part in it. It was a part of the world and that level of discipline was accepted.
Heck, in movie 4, they cut the mention of even trying to keep the tourney safe. They had a dragon flying the school grounds chasing a student, while the wizards kept their seats and waited for an outcome...

P.S. I think I'm the only one who didn't really love the PoA movie, the cuts they made really affected the story for the negative IMO. The whole deletion of the mauraders map history was a large negative.

Movie3 had lots of flaws, but was okay. It left out too much of the background from the book to really be a good chapter in the saga.

Movie4 I didn't care for, because they trimmed lots of stuff from the book, which is fine, but then extended parts that went counter to the feel of the thing.

Movie5 was just badly directed I think. Lots of acting with gaps in lines, the camera focusing on the wrong person during conversations. Still a decent movie, but should have been done easier.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Yep. very true. I got the idea from reading the books that the Wizarding world is much harsher than normal, heck the Tri-Wizard tourney was known to be fatal and kids took part in it. It was a part of the world and that level of discipline was accepted.

I think you're right. I figure the main reason they don't mind kids jinxing and cursing each other is that's (a) a good learning tool and (b) the effects are usually temporary or annoying, and generally can be fixed with minimal effort. Those that can't, or are otherwise exceptionally dangerous, *those* are banned.

P.S. I think I'm the only one who didn't really love the PoA movie, the cuts they made really affected the story for the negative IMO. The whole deletion of the mauraders map history was a large negative.

Especially with 4, GoF:

"So, we don't have time to go into a lot of stuff, but we'll spend two minutes watching the boat pull slowly into shore. Great."

Brad

delericho

Legend
Flexor the Mighty! said:
P.S. I think I'm the only one who didn't really love the PoA movie,

Nope, I didn't care for it either. In fact, the thing I didn't really like was the very same darker tone that a lot of people do really like. I just found it jarring to be faced with that all of a sudden after the relative lightness of the previous two films.

I felt that #1 was okay, but suffered for being a bit too close to the book, and therefore too long. #2 remains my favourite. #4 I didn't like, because it cut far too much from the book. Given the darkness and length of the source material, therefore, I didn't have high hopes for #5, but was pleasantly surprised.

So, my order of preference: #2, #5, #1, #3, #4 (or perhaps #3 then #1, depending on how I feel on a given day).

nick2

Explorer
What I don't understand is why Harry was the one leading the training of the OotP students, when Hermione has always been the best at magic, and the most knowledgeable about it. It just seemed to go against the previous movies in that regard, but I guess Harry has to be the hero. I also thought that the entire OotP students were experiencing the lines "torture", but that may have just been my impression of it. I enjoyed the movie, and all of the kids sitting around me were quiet throughout the entire movie, which was a lot better than I had expected.

kingpaul

First Post
nick2 said:
What I don't understand is why Harry was the one leading the training of the OotP students, when Hermione has always been the best at magic
The discussion got chopped from the movie. In the book, you find out that Harry is actually better at DAtDA than Hermione.

Jubilee

First Post
I think we also learned in OotP (book) that Hermione has trouble producing the Patronis Charm - the only spell she has trouble with, apparently.

I think the idea was also that Harry had all this real world experience with facing dementors, the tri-wizard tournament, and fighting Voldemort himself, so he was better suited for teaching DAtDA. It made sense in the book, and didn't seem that badly presented in the movie.

Remove ads