D&D General Has anyone created a homebrewed version of World of Warcraft's Drachthyr race for 5e D&D?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yea, leveling up alts is kind of my "zone out and play Solitare" activity, and I've been maintaining a max-level for every class since Legion made that worthwhile.
I have more than a few alts though not all at max level and not entirely that much variety ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have more than a few alts though not all at max level and not entirely that much variety ;)
I got so crazy in the long final patch period of BfA, that not only did I go back to Legion and level up all the classes I hadn't previously, I made sure as many of them as possible were allied races or other races that had racial armor sets.

It was actually a really good experience, if tedious at times. Some of the Legion storylines, headquarters and mounts are really great. Others are ... not. But now I know.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten an update of the Warcraft RPG. I thought it sold well enough? Plus like, Lands of Mystery was basically "Hey, want to see our ideas for Wrath? Here you go". Love that book. Also love the fact it has playable stats for Murlocs, Nerubians, Blue Dragons and fricking Magnataur

But yeah, I'd almost grab from winged tiefling outside of dragonborn because the breath weapon seems associated with Evokers specifically. When we get them split out to other classes, I suspect the other Dracthyr won't have the breath weapon. Their specific racial is a tail smack to be precise, so some sort of limited flight and a tail attack would work for the base Dracthyr, then just some sort of thematic class for evoker specifically

I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten an update of the Warcraft RPG. I thought it sold well enough? Plus like, Lands of Mystery was basically "Hey, want to see our ideas for Wrath? Here you go". Love that book. Also love the fact it has playable stats for Murlocs, Nerubians, Blue Dragons and fricking Magnataur

But yeah, I'd almost grab from winged tiefling outside of dragonborn because the breath weapon seems associated with Evokers specifically. When we get them split out to other classes, I suspect the other Dracthyr won't have the breath weapon. Their specific racial is a tail smack to be precise, so some sort of limited flight and a tail attack would work for the base Dracthyr, then just some sort of thematic class for evoker specifically
While there hasn't been an official update of the Warcraft RPG, there have been homebrewed attempts to bring it into 5e D&D. Like this one from GM Binder: Warcraft Heroes Handbook v2.1 by Asger aka Jih

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Blizzard folks play D&D during their lunch and after hours in conference rooms. I guarantee there's a lot of officially generated unofficial D&D content floating around Irvine. (Probably at least as much for Diablo as well.)

But they've gone back and forth on how much merch they create or license and what it is. I suspect it'd take a competitor making a major splash with a tie-in book to convince the bean-counters to do a D&D book again. (They've all certainly got a lot of other stuff on their minds at the moment.)

Maybe after the Microsoft purchase is complete.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
While there hasn't been an official update of the Warcraft RPG, there have been homebrewed attempts to bring it into 5e D&D. Like this one from GM Binder: Warcraft Heroes Handbook v2.1 by Asger aka Jih

I think WoW features much more larger than life Warriors than 5e fighters can pull off particularly by end game (though the 5e Rune Knight is like the Avatar battleform, so its not impossible.).
The Warrior is like Barbarian and Fighter with a dabble of Warlord nicely mashed together. The super leaps (utility powers in 4e) and crackling ground stomping, throwing weapons which return to hand (built-in with 4e), and wonderful charges mobility (built in in 4e and enhanceable so many ways) and so on most all feel like either they already are there or they could have been right at home in the 4e atmosphere. Even the ability to sudden retreat by a hunter in WoW. Or alternatively charge in the fray with a chain followed by fancy spear work makes the 5e ranger seem so much less vivid (although I suppose the spell casting helps).
I haven't looked closely yet at the 5e adaption just thinking the base would be closer when cough cough caster supremacy doesnt feel so strong. I looked at the fan made pdf that was linked though and its not as bad as I thought it might be.

Last edited:

Remove ads