• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

Has online play changed your DM style?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I suspect that I know what my post was about probably better than you do, and my post was about the "what do you do?" framing that BookBarbarian talked about in his post. ;)
No doubt you know your intent, but we only have your words to respond to and those words certainly included more than an observation of the four words "What do you do?" as already shown above. My response was to words other than "What do you do?" as was my factual claim about Dungeon World and D&D 5e having the same basic structure of conversation for the DM and players, a claim that in your view is "downplaying" the game differences in the games. My intent, which I no doubt know better than anyone else, is not to downplay the differences as you humbly asserted, of which there are many, but to show the similarities and how someone could have derived this approach from the four corners of the D&D 5e PHB.

Come on, this glibness is being disingenuous. You know that this isn't the point I was making. It's sidestepping using "what do you do?" as an intentional part of GM framing rather than just a conversational happenstance. I'm not sure why this is something you would want to downplay since this is something that BookBarbarian found laudable about what you did.
The only thing I'm attempting to downplay is any potential claim that PBtA games and D&D 5e are somehow different when it comes to this aspect of the game. While I'm happy my example play has benefited BookBarbarian's game, I can make no honest claim to that specific thing being attributable to myself or any specific game.

To bring this back around to the topic of how online games influence a DM's style, it occurs to me that "What do you do?" or words to that effect are a must in online play because of voice technology. It's like saying "Over" on a CB radio - you're telling others it's their turn to speak so that you're not interrupting each other. This is especially helpful if you're not using video.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Your responses are incongruous with someone who also says "I really don't want to get into yet another pissing contest." Or perhaps you do, just not about the specific contest you reference above?

"I can't tell if you want to get into an ego contest, so... I'll make sure you can have one if you want it." That's your approach?

How about, instead, if you think someone's looking for a fight, rather than a discussion, you don't act to make that fight happen, hm? Thanks.

Nevvur

Explorer
Folks, burdening a discussion thread with arguing with moderation is not constructive, and against the rules. If you have an issue, take it to separate discussion in PMs. Thanks.
"I can't tell if you want to get into an ego contest, so... I'll make sure you can have one if you want it." That's your approach?

How about, instead, if you think someone's looking for a fight, rather than a discussion, you don't act to make that fight happen, hm? Thanks.
Is this type of snark really appropriate from a moderator? I've been following the discussion between iserith and aldarc with interest. I didn't think it had reached the point of requiring moderation to begin with, much less warrant that kind of response from a mod.

Hussar

Legend
Oh look, a continuation of an old argument that waged for several months. I SOOO regret my participation in it the least time around. Can we please not drag it out again? Pretty please. With a cherry on top? If we couldn't come to any sort of common ground after several thousand posts the last time around, it's really, really unlikely we will this time either.

Shiroiken

Adventurer
I've had to become more descriptive that I used to be during social encounters. I used to rely on gestures and facial expressions as part of my role-playing, and without the players ability to see I have to decribe it instead. Of course, I often still perform the gestures anyway, out of habit.

Nevvur

Explorer
I've had to become more descriptive that I used to be during social encounters. I used to rely on gestures and facial expressions as part of my role-playing, and without the players ability to see I have to decribe it instead. Of course, I often still perform the gestures anyway, out of habit.
Thanks so much for mentioning this one!

I've been doing voice-only for my entire online play experience, and I've lately become aware how much I'm missing out by not broadcasting video to players. It's funny, because at real life tables I am a very... animated DM... but I don't get to do that in voice only games. The mere fact of you mentioning it gives me pause to reconsider video, if only so my players can get a little more info from my body.

Nevvur

Explorer
This is against the rules I guess? I'm not so vested in this community that I can't withstand a warning, time out, or even permanent ban. @Umbran, I am begging you to reevaluate the criteria by which you determine to moderate threads and leave this one alone until something actionable evinces. @iserith and @Aldarc were having a heated but civil discussion.

I challenge you to find a very clear violation of the rules in the discussion between iserith and aldarc. If you can present one, I will acknowledge it. In the meantime, I request that you delete your post and the warning against mine.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
And another thing that's changed for me (I was thinking about this on the way to have breakfast with my brother.)...

When I look at a new rule set/game, I immediately start to think one of two things:

1) Does my preferred VTT have the rule set already supported so I can just plug-n-play and/or
2) How difficult would it be to program/enter the rule set into my preferred VTT.

If the answer to #1 is yes, I'm more likely to pick up the game. If the answer to #1 is no, I then look at #2. If the answer is much past Simple or Quick, I stop looking at the game.

For example, I'd love to run a Star Trek Adventures game on Fantasy Grounds. However, the rule set is not supported except for a few fairly well made community rule sets. But even those rule sets take a bit of work to get them polished.

Now, I could and am capable of spending the time and effort to get a rule set together. But... and dis is a big butt... er.. but there are so many other things I could spend that time on that it's just not worth the effort to me.

Same with The Expanse RPG. I have a theme/extension all set up to run the game, but I don't have the data entry completed for the Reference Module. I stopped doing it because the ROI wasn't good enough.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
This is against the rules I guess?
Where's the guess on this? He came right out and said it: "burdening a discussion thread with arguing with moderation is not constructive, and against the rules. If you have an issue, take it to separate discussion in PMs"

Myself? I'd appreciate it if you took your pissing contest with the Mods to PM and not clutter up a pretty good thread with it.

Nevvur

Explorer
@Doc_Klueless and @CapnZapp

I'm not pissing at anyone and I hope Umbran doesn't take this side conversation as such. I would like him to acknowledge exactly where and when the aforementioned posters crossed the line, because I did not see either of them cross it. Again, I'm fine with my protest being shut down because I'm aware of the rules. Open discourse about ALL tangents related to the topics I post are VALUABLE to me, and I do not appreciate moderators shutting down the discourse I want to create.

If Enworld fails to serve my needs because a single moderator interferes, I have options outside Enworld, and so does everyone else. I can hang around here as long as I can tolerate interference, and no longer.

Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
ENWorld has been around for 20 years. Given how large and thriving it is, do you think the mods have a rep for being overbearing or for being fair? Take your complaints to PMs. The rest of us do not want to hear your complaints about the mods.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
This is against the rules I guess?

Yes, it is against the rules.

From the Terms and Rules:

"2) If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a moderating issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, and no challenging their decisions in the thread. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them...."

You were very specifically told to take it to a private discussion - given an avenue to voice your concerns... and you didn't even try to use it.

So, you won't be posting in this thread again. And my suggestion is that you avoid controversial topics until such time as you feel ready to work with the moderators, rather than against them.

Larnievc

Explorer
I really ham up the accents and try to mimic popular actors to help get over my face being on a screen and voice sounding distorted (because most of my players are using old laptops/iPads etc).

SkidAce

Adventurer
Yeah, just a few days ago I had to stop and ask my online players (voice/roll20) "You dont see me waving my hands and pointing towards where the monsters went do you?"

Really used to gestures being a part of NPC personality also...one of my best NPC mannerisms included tilting his head when he was angry or put out.

Oh well, good times.

Rhenny

Adventurer
In short, yes. Online gaming has changed my style, but the changes can also be used for enhancing tabletop play.

First, since online I can’t use eye contact or body language to engage players, I make a point of using character names more often to grab player attention.

Second, I’ve sped up my delivery of detail and become much more conscious of keeping pace of play moving faster. It is much easier for players to tune out online so I try to counteract that.

Third, I use many more maps and images to show players detail and track movement/combat on grid. That said, I still use gridless combat when there are few foes and the situation is less complex.

Since using Fantasy Grounds for most of my games, I even use it to help me during live, tabletop sessions. The ability to use the FG map pins to quickly look up details about rooms/encounters is a game changer.

FrogReaver

Adventurer
Where's the guess on this? He came right out and said it: "burdening a discussion thread with arguing with moderation is not constructive, and against the rules. If you have an issue, take it to separate discussion in PMs"

Myself? I'd appreciate it if you took your pissing contest with the Mods to PM and not clutter up a pretty good thread with it.
Weird.… I get told by the mods not to call threads mine..... I bet you don't ;)

Advertisement