WotC Hasbro gains big time from D&D, Magic, Monopoly, and Baldur's Gate 3

Seem Hasbro is bouncing back from stuff going also wrong earlier in the year. Maybe the rest of us be so lucky.

Next year should be interesting when Hasbro doesn't have the benifit of BG3.

I wonder if the next step should be acquiring other videogame studio, or a merger, for example with LEGO or playmobil. Why not a licenced pack of D&D for playmobil? I don't advice expensive big boxes, but cheaper and littler, as bait for children who start to collect. I doubt seriously a merger with GW. If Mattel is making money with Barbie, then they will want to keep their independence.

I suspect this and the next will be years with a lot of troubles, changes and surprises, and not only in the entertaiment industry. We will can see true giants to fall, and mergers we couldn't guess now.

Maybe Hasbro needs a mon ( = collectable and trained monsters) franchise as Pokemon or Digimon.

If a 3PP can't be survive for a long time, like a vulture WotC could ask a meeting to talk about buying their IPs.

If the rumors of Fortnite 2 are true, with a new creative mode allowing different styles, then Hasbro could be very interested into talking with Epic Game about partnership.

I imagine licenced IPs in D&D Beyond, even Disney franchises in D&DB using other game system. But then the VTT would need the creation of no-medieval fantasy scenery.

How would be D&DB if players could created horror "interactive novels" based in the comingsoon Duskmourn? It would work like a gamebook but with images and some motion picture.

There is a bet of D&D as a webcomic, but currently it is a little bet. Birthright could be a better option for a hypotetical future D&D romance manhwa.

BATBB-Asset-4-scaled.jpg

My theory is D&D to be more popular in Japan it needs a new setting created by Japaneses with their own style, with a Western culture look but Japanese essence. (Sorry if I can't find better words to explain it). A D&D anime version of Power Ranger is not so impossible, it would be like a medieval version of Mystic Force and mixed with mystic knights of tir na nog. (it is a crazy idea, of course, but it is so crazy even it could work).

5e is not ready for Gamma World franchise to be added to D&D Multiverse, but with Magic: the Gathering the things can be different. Gamma World as IP could work as "hidden pilot episode" of other franchises.

Seem Hasbro is bouncing back from stuff going also wrong earlier in the year. Maybe the rest of us be so lucky.

Next year should be interesting when Hasbro doesn't have the benifit of BG3.
Next year they have the new core books for D&D at least.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
News Release: Hasbro releases D&D the Gathering Monopoly on PC. Players roll dice to move around the board, collecting mana from colored spaces and drawing community chest cards to summon monsters to attack the other players. Beware the Banishment spell that sends you to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect mana!

"Why isn't this selling?"
I mean, they do have a D&D Monopoly, and it probably sold well?

Scribe

Legend
But the new books aren't for us, they are for hypothetical future players since they are designed to be perfectly compatible with 2014 5E. If ENWorld's WotC defenders are right, there shouldn't be a surge due to the new core books.

I dont think that tracks at all.

2014 compatible? Yes. Updated, with new language and content? Yes.

If both are true, they are expecting people to buy them. I mean people I assume (not I) bought MotM, even if they had Volos/ToF.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But the new books aren't for us, they are for hypothetical future players since they are designed to be perfectly compatible with 2014 5E. If ENWorld's WotC defenders are right, there shouldn't be a surge due to the new core books.
Not incompatible: WotC is focused on new players, but we already see in the polls thst most on this forum plan to buy the new books anyways. When push comes to shove, though, existing players buying or not likely will have more to with art and marketing, since the rules are still compatible.

Remove ads