WotC Hasbro Gaming Down 17% But D&D Remains 'Bright Spot'

ICv2 reports on Hasbro's latest quarterly report, noting that "Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons were two bright spots in Hasbro’s Q3, an otherwise tough quarter with sales and earnings both hit by actual and threatened tariffs on goods from China".

ICv2 reports on Hasbro's latest quarterly report, noting that "Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons were two bright spots in Hasbro’s Q3, an otherwise tough quarter with sales and earnings both hit by actual and threatened tariffs on goods from China".

essentials-kit-1171431-1280x0.jpg

Other notes from ICv2:
  • Hasbro Gaming, which does not include franchise brands Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering, was down 17%
  • Total gaming sales, including Magic and Monopoly, were roughly flat, a big change from the 26% growth in Q2
  • WotC has close to a dozen [digital] games in development for delivery over the next five to six years
  • Hasbro believes that WotC sales can be doubled over the next five years, “…as we’ve accomplished over the past five years.”

Hasbro sells toys, and one of the best ways is adapting famous franchises (movies, videogames, cartoons, comics). Michael Bay "resurrected" the Transformers. D&D is the perfect product for teens. They don't need to change it yet, but more playtesting to can other genres with a right balance of power. Maybe could add demi-abilities, what would work as bonus feat, respecting the sacred cows of the six classic abilities scores.

They need a new d20 line more flexible for all genres, not only for 3rd Party publishers but easy to be adapted to videogames. A sleeper hit videogame using this d20 Modern could help. Maybe we don't need a d20 Modern but a Modular d20, a system easy to be reconfigured, because a survival horror wants courage as ability score, or other "Grace" (the PC's soul has a clean karma or aura what helps to face supernatural hostile powers), or Astuteness because the PC is an private eye who has to notice who is lying or to improvise an excuse (or evil spellcasters use astuteness instead Wis). Other videogame studio would use its own "house rule" about level of power (more hit points, bonus to fight and unlocking higher powers) and level of knowledge (like characters from Sims videogames learning more and more skills).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
They need a new d20 line more flexible for all genres, not only for 3rd Party publishers but easy to be adapted to videogames.

If D&D keeps crushing sales expectations year after year, the notion that it "needs" to be more flexible to all genres is nonsense. And Hasbro isn't going to touch a brand that isn't just profitable, but still growing.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep

The downside of 5E being so big is less diversity.

You're not going to have 5E d20 Star Wars, modern, future etc.

And it's going to be harder for other systems to get players as well.

I don't talk about changing D&D but to publish other different game using a different version of d20, like a spin-off. Nor even it wouldn't need to publish a book, but a videogame using an alternative version of d20, for example set in the line "Dark*Matter" from d20 Modern, or something more gothic-pulp, the gothic earth in 1930 from "Masque of the Red Death". But I suggest something like gothic-pulp fantasy-reality counterpart world where "monster" PCs could change or affect historical facts.

I don't ask to change the recipe of the specialty, the better meal in the restaurant, but suggest to serve also some different plate with those same ingredients.

There are homebred version of Star Wars and other franchises for D&D 5th. I don't say LEGO bricks have to be altered or changed, but I suggest to add bricks with new different shapes to can more things. Then if players use this modular d20 to create their own homemade version of Star Wars, Resident Evil, Solid Metal Gear, 7th Sea, Cthulhutech or World of Darkness then it is the right path.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't ask to change the recipe of the specialty, the better meal in the restaurant, but suggest to serve also some different plate with those same ingredients.

I'm pretty sure that even with the new hires, the focus is going to be on releasing more D&D material, not a different system. There is much more risk with releasing a new game than pumping out new content for the game that is already popular.

Now I know your response will be "But Hasbro wants a new system to make toys," but no, they don't. There has been little evidence at all that Hasbro is interested in exploiting D&D's brand for new toys, and all attempts beyond Wizkids had failed. Hasbro is willing to promote the brand in entertainment (Netflix/film), but until we see those succeed anything more is pure speculation.

but cartoons only for children.
Says who? This was "common knowledge" 30 years ago.
Before you know; the Simpsons, South Park, Nick at Night, Anime, Manga, etc. Sure decades of Disney animated movies were couched in a draw to children, but they sell because they appeal to adults as well as children.
Here's a google search I did that you can see in the first 10 results lots and lots of support that cartoons are not only for kids.

GreyLord

Legend
There are other IPs that WotC could use beyond just D&D or MtG. AH line and other items are still out there, some of which could make interesting games.

Original IPs inspired by other things, or just an original game with an interesting catch could also be something that generates new interest and creates a new line. More risky, but could also be very lucrative if successful.

Hasbro knows, notices, D&D may be its cash cow, gold mine, like Pokemon or He-Man & Master of Universe.

There are cartoons for "shonen", young teens, and for adults, but cartoons linked to toys are for children.

There is space in the TTRPG market for superheroes or "urban epic-horror".

Don't sell only a sport car if also you can produce all-terrain vehicles o an utility car.

Remove ads

Remove ads