Hasbro/WotC has crossed the Trust Thermocline

Retreater

Legend
Wizards of the Coast isn't our friend...but neither are Kobold Press, Goodman Games, Paizo, Green Ronin, etc. They are all corporate content providers. Paizo was implicat3d in far more problematic practices less than a year ago, and people have moved on...and really, why not...?
The smaller businesses do things that are more pro-fan. Like Paizo's support of Archives of Nethys and free access on Foundry. Wizards does nothing, cares nothing. You are a joke to them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The smaller businesses do things that are more pro-fan. Like Paizo's support of Archives of Nethys and free access on Foundry. Wizards does nothing, cares nothing. You are a joke to them.
Sure, obviously, they are a large corporation and I am a customer...that's how the relationship works. They don't care about me, I don't care about them. If they produce something that I want, then I buy it. If they don't, then I don't buy it. Turns out that since 2014, the only things they put out that I didn't want were Acquisitions Incorporated and Rick & Morty, but they could still put out something I don't want (has tonhappen eventually). Other companies put out stuff that I want, so I buy it (Call of Cthulu, Dungeon Crawl Classics, several Midgard books, just got tye PbtA Avatar in the mail) When they don't, I don't. None of this constitutes a friendship or relationship, it's all transactional.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Even on this board, with everyone reading all these posts, with the assumption of some friendliness with 3PP, we can't even get half the responders to a poll to say they'd consider not playing 5e.
Even most people on here don't care. They're hoping they can keep giving Wizards money, praying things don't change. And most of the people will forget within two weeks or whenever the next book comes out.
That's a tortured conclusion. People can use the products they have to continue playing 5e without giving Wizards another red cent. Nobody needs to engage in product churn, and those that wish to can buy 3PP. That's what I'll be doing.

Retreater

Legend
None of this constitutes a friendship or relationship, it's all transactional.
Yeah. I get that when it's a billion dollar company. But look at the individual creators. My friend Levi out there writing zines every few months. Sacrosanct and Steampunkette on these boards who have had Kickstarters going on. Morrus and the ENP crew.
Certainly, I would hope, people on these boards would view supporting a small creator differently.
I'll grant you, the OGL isn't out yet. If it comes out and it's as lousy as we saw, you're not just making a transaction. People who support WotC are spitting in the faces of independent content creators.
WotC may not be your friends, but the people they are posed to mess over are.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. I get that when it's a billion dollar company. But look at the individual creators. My friend Levi out there writing zines every few months. Sacrosanct and Steampunkette on these boards who have had Kickstarters going on. Morrus and the ENP crew.
Certainly, I would hope, people on these boards would view supporting a small creator differently.
I'll grant you, the OGL isn't out yet. If it comes out and it's as lousy as we saw, you're not just making a transaction. People who support WotC are spitting in the faces of independent content creators.
WotC may not be your friends, but the people they are posed to mess over are.

All due respect to them, but no, they aren't my "friends" in that way, anymore than Jeremy Crawford is because we have interacted on Twitter. Certainly not in any sort of "I owe them money for a product I don't want" way. I already have two fantasy RPGs, I don't need a third or fourth...maybe if they were covering a different genre.

And no, it is not "spitting in the faces" of anyone to buy a game just because of licensing shennanigans that are aeperate. The cooperation is remote and material, neither proximate nor formal.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
All due respect to them, but no, they aren't my "friends" in that way, anymore than Jeremy Crawford is because we have interacted on Twitter.
Yeah. I guess if you can't see the difference in someone making a product for love of the game, sometimes at great financial risk, from a mega billion dollar corporation that wants to sell you microtransactions of barely usable content to appease stockholders, all the while disrespecting you and your hobby behind closed doors, then I guess enjoy your Big Mac D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases