D&D 5E Have you actually read the 5e DMG?

Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

• Yes, I read the DMG from cover to cover as a DM

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • I only read the portions I need as a DM and discover the rules over time

Votes: 85 40.1%
  • I don't read the DMG because I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I read the DMG even though I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No but my DM informed me of all the available choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but my DM informs me of the choices available in his/her campaign.

Votes: 2 0.9%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, I would have liked an option between cover-to-cover and I read sections as needed, but I voted for the second option since it was closer.

I read most of it, skipping pretty much all of part 1 on world-building and half of part 2 since I am already good without reading that material. I started at chapter 5 and read all the rest.

I was actually really annoyed that the first 30% was IMO wasted space. I'm sure some people got value out of page 1-99, but not me.

Nebulous

Legend
I've never read the whole thing. The whole introduction about "building your own worlds" never appealed to since I've been running (and really liking) the premade 5e campaigns. I read over the optional rules; some were good, but many of them seemed poorly thought out or simplistic to the point of uselessness.

Well, I would have liked an option between cover-to-cover and I read sections as needed, but I voted for the second option since it was closer.

I read most of it, skipping pretty much all of part 1 on world-building and half of part 2 since I am already good without reading that material. I started at chapter 5 and read all the rest.

I was actually really annoyed that the first 30% was IMO wasted space. I'm sure some people got value out of page 1-99, but not me.
The core set has always largely been 2.5 books at most. (With the possible exception of 1e).

I think Castles and Crusades did the right thing by putting all their magic items in the monster book so that GM's book was entirely optional.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I read it as a player 'cause I want to ruin d&d mwa ha haha 'cause at one point I was interested in running. idk why but the 3.5 dmg felt like getting a little salami as a treat while 5e just gives me the whole salami.

Shiroiken

Legend
I read it cover to cover, but not in order. I started looking at thing important to the type of campaign I was going to run, then went back and read everything else. Just like when I read the 1E DMG, the magic items are by far the most monotonous.

I mostly spent time using the tables to create random dungeons and feeling a bit cheated in that there is no random encounter table for city streets.

There is one in there (can’t look up the page at the moment), but it is broken. It uses the d12+d8 method (which I like), but they forgot to weight the results—they are just in alphabetical order. Needless to say, that makes it useless unless you fix it.

I read it as a player 'cause I want to ruin d&d mwa ha haha 'cause at one point I was interested in running. idk why but the 3.5 dmg felt like getting a little salami as a treat while 5e just gives me the whole salami.
From memory (which may be wrong) the 3.0 one was pretty good while the 3.5 one was mostly a waste of paper.

Remove ads