D&D 5E Have you actually read the 5e DMG?

Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

• Yes, I read the DMG from cover to cover as a DM

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • I only read the portions I need as a DM and discover the rules over time

Votes: 85 40.1%
  • I don't read the DMG because I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I read the DMG even though I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No but my DM informed me of all the available choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but my DM informs me of the choices available in his/her campaign.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Hussar

Legend
Heh, I don't think I've ever read any DMG cover to cover. Maybe over the years, I've read every part, but, I doubt it. The closest I came would be the 4e DMG, still my vote for all time best DMG. But the 5e DMG? Why? Why would I read it cover to cover?

I read the entire thing through twice and frequently look things up as needed.

I've never read the whole thing. The whole introduction about "building your own worlds" never appealed to since I've been running (and really liking) the premade 5e campaigns. I read over the optional rules; some were good, but many of them seemed poorly thought out or simplistic to the point of uselessness.

I run the premade campaigns as well, but the world building sections help me flesh them out.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
also there is a good chance you read it or it's spirit in prior editions.
First DMG for me. It didn’t help that some of the pages were still joined together, but the content wasn’t intriguing enough to separate them. :) Section 3 is awesome and should be section 1. I’ve argued before that the sections are in precisely the wrong order.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted "cover to cover" - but not entirely true for two reasons:

I skipped most of the spell write-ups and some of the magic items, and I didn't read it as a DM. (well, not precisely; I did read it as a DM but in the end more to see what I could maybe plug into my own system rather than actually run 5e)

Orius

Legend
I've never read the whole thing cover to cover. But I think it's one of the best DMGs ever written, and could potentially give the 1e DMG a run for its money. It's a very good DMG for new DMs, and there's some stuff in there that I feel is edition neutral enough to use with any version of the game. Didn't bother reading the magic item descriptions though, they're the same items in my 2e and 3e guides, so I know what they do already.

atanakar

Hero
I've never read the whole thing cover to cover. But I think it's one of the best DMGs ever written, and could potentially give the 1e DMG a run for its money. It's a very good DMG for new DMs, and there's some stuff in there that I feel is edition neutral enough to use with any version of the game. Didn't bother reading the magic item descriptions though, they're the same items in my 2e and 3e guides, so I know what they do already.

1e was always my favourite DMG but as you say the 5e DMG is up there with it.

Remove ads