D&D 5E Have you actually read the 5e DMG?

Have you read the 5e DMG attentively from cover to cover?

• Yes, I read the DMG from cover to cover as a DM

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • I only read the portions I need as a DM and discover the rules over time

Votes: 85 40.1%
  • I don't read the DMG because I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I read the DMG even though I'm a player

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No but my DM informed me of all the available choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but my DM informs me of the choices available in his/her campaign.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Where is the option for "I am a dungeon master, but I have not read this edition's dungeon master's guide. I rely on my enthusiastic players to point out any potential rule discrepancies. Then I just make a ruling according the previous editions."

Are your players on board with 5e rules being adjudicated according to previous editions' rules? Sounds like something that should probably have been discussed (if you haven't already). That's kind of something I'd want to know if my DM had that philosophy.

Tallifer

Hero
Are your players on board with 5e rules being adjudicated according to previous editions' rules? Sounds like something that should probably have been discussed (if you haven't already). That's kind of something I'd want to know if my DM had that philosophy.
They know full well and accept it (some wholeheartedly since they only play 5E for the same reason I run it: to achieve quorum). Nothing to discuss: there are lots of other groups out there.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I don't remember any advice of the type 'how to make fun for your players' and player motivations in Holmes, B/X or 1e. The 1e PHB did have a long section on how to play the game as a player - who can forget that awesome magic mouth drawing. B1 did have tips for players.

Various editions did spend some time on how to make interesting dungeons - tricks/traps/smells/monsters/etc. I think the assumption was if your dungeon was interesting, then players would have fun.
I mean once upon a time people thought if you gave a child a cup and ball on a string they would have fun. actually they still might have fun, but are probably more likely to call it off as an exercise in frustration and play fortnite instead.

I feel like even in a world where dungeon crawling is no longer considered the norm this is still the case, I think we just now have different ideas of what makes a dungeon "interesting"

Tallifer

Hero
I should further clarify that not only have I not read the Dungeon Master's Guide, neither have I read the Players' Guide. I did read the Players' Guide for 4E (and tried to in AD&D).

atanakar

Hero
I should further clarify that not only have I not read the Dungeon Master's Guide, neither have I read the Players' Guide. I did read the Players' Guide for 4E (and tried to in AD&D).

I can't determine if you are trolling this topic or if you are the kind of clueless DM I would not like to play a game with.

JeffB

Legend
I can't determine if you are trolling this topic or if you are the kind of clueless DM I would not like to play a game with.

FWIW I ran using the Basic Rules and the MM only for a year or so. The DMG is not a must have purchase in this edition.

atanakar

Hero
FWIW I ran using the Basic Rules and the MM only for a year or so. The DMG is not a must have purchase in this edition.

Tallifer claims to be running 5e games without having read the 5e PBH, if I read him correctly (post #77). Of course you can wing it but it is a bit nonchalant. I expect my DMs to know the rules of the edition we are playing, not just make calls on how he «imagines» the rules work.

Last edited:

Remove ads