• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you become disillusioned with 3rd edition?

Still playing 3rd edition?

• I still play 3.0/3.5 pretty much as written.

Votes: 301 62.1%
  • I still play 3.0/3.5 but with a number of changes

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • What I play is still technically 3rd edition, but with a ton of changes

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play a d20 system, based on 3rd edition (e.g., d20 modern)

Votes: 68 14.0%
  • I play an OGL game (e.g., C&C)

Votes: 63 13.0%
  • My game is a hybrid of a bunch of different games, including 3rd edition

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play something completely different, like GURPS or Rolemaster.

Votes: 65 13.4%

Pants

First Post
3.5 is the only true game... aw gawd, I can't do that. :confused:

Yeah, I still play 3.5 pretty much as written, though I change a few things here and there and add some d20 stuff in occasionally.

I am disillusioned with people making 'are you disillusioned with X' or 'is X dying/on its last breaths' type threads.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I'm currently playing a World of Warcraft RPG, which is an...interesting...interpretation of d20.

I miss D&D—manily because I've effectively memorized the rules and I can play 3.5 in my sleep.

Is 3.5 my favorite game? No (that would be cinematic Unisystem). But am I dissilusioned? Not by a long shot.

drowdude

First Post
Currently I am running a home-brew using a blend of Iron Heroes and Black Company Magic/Mastercraft, with some additional house rules mixed in.

Prior to that we ran a very successful SWd20 game; although I ended up rewriting almost the entire system :p

Overall, though I suppose you could say I am a little disillusioned with 3.X in general. Until IH came out and captured my intrest I had planned to run my version of SWd20 for the long haul; and I had actually started to seriously consider trying out Hackmaster (well maybe not)...

catsclaw227

First Post
Not disillusioned at all. I tweak a bit here and there, but it works well, even for our group of RP first players.

Crothian said:
I'm in the midst of one of the best campaigns I've ever run, I haven't been this happy with gaming for a while.

Is this a homebrew or a published setting?

Last edited:

No, not disillusioned, . . . still pretty illusioned in general ;) .

3E and 3.5 are cool, but if I had one wish it would be to make everything more streamlined. At low levels, not bad. High levels (which I prefer) can be arduous (sp??) when it comes to the kind of big combats that I like.

-AoA

Serielle

First Post
Hehe, coming out of lurking to post on this thread...

I don't play D&D exclusively, though it's probably the one I play the most. Well, I don't play much at all actually, I just DM most of the time, so we experience with different games rarely has a player's perspective to it. At the moment, I am massively frustrated with how rigidly everything is defined in the D&D universe, and how generic the flavour is.

I started adding houserules when I didn't like the flavour. The more I looked into it, the more I started modifying. It got to be rediculous after a while, my list of changes is huge, so at the moment I'm taking all my changes and compliling them into a setting, and giving the option to any group I DM to either choose my homebrew if they like it, or just have me run a rules as written game. Optimally, I'd run my own homebrew, but I can understand a player's reluctance to jump into a setting they don't think is good fantasy. People have often characterized my justifications for my changes as odd.

I haven't ran a game since I've started modifying the system, but I never did stick to the rules for handling things. I tend to run very loose games, I freeform combat when I don't think rolling is neccesary, I'll bend limitations when I feel it would be fun to do so, I make up magical effects without codifying them into spells, let player mix/max to their heart's content and generally make life hell for any rules lawyer in my game.

I suppose on that note if I ran my homebrew, you'd be hard pressed to call it D&D, though to be fair it's not like I radically changed character creation or combat.

genshou

First Post
The only game I'm running right now is my story hour, which is an ungodly mix of rulesets. Other than that, I'm sticking with 3rd Edition with various house rules and will occasionally throw some of the *good* ideas from 3.5 in. I also want to play d20 Modern again, and wouldn't mind picking up Grim Tales, Iron Heroes, and True20.

MonsterMash

First Post
Currently D&D 3.5 with house rules, Conan RPG, Call of Cthulhu BRP and soon Paranoia.

I still enjoy playing fantasy D20, and the 3.5 core rules are a decent set of rules for it, but I can't fall into either the 3e is superior or the my hat of d02 camp, what makes the game is a good GM and players the rules are largely incidental.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads