• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you become disillusioned with 3rd edition?

Still playing 3rd edition?

• I still play 3.0/3.5 pretty much as written.

Votes: 301 62.1%
  • I still play 3.0/3.5 but with a number of changes

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • What I play is still technically 3rd edition, but with a ton of changes

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play a d20 system, based on 3rd edition (e.g., d20 modern)

Votes: 68 14.0%
  • I play an OGL game (e.g., C&C)

Votes: 63 13.0%
  • My game is a hybrid of a bunch of different games, including 3rd edition

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play something completely different, like GURPS or Rolemaster.

Votes: 65 13.4%

carnivore

First Post
I loves me some 3.5.

I feel it allows the DM a chance to "play" with the players. It also holds the DM to the rules and I've always hated "DM Fiat" and the systems that allowed this.

Other systems I have played and liked: Classic Deadlands and Ars Magica.

MadMaxim

First Post
I'm currently running a highly succesful Eberron campaign and loving every minute of it. I'm in no way disillusioned with 3rd edition. I love the mechanics and think it's the perfect system for me. Looking forward to run a high-level Forgotten Realms campaign when we've finished with the Eberron campaign. It's good to play D&D :)

DragonLancer

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
I'm just curious how many people here are still playing 3rd edition (3.0/3.5) or you've managed to find some other offshoot that you enjoy more?

I'm still playing 3.5 without changes. Still perfectly happy with the main rules and haven't had a desire to check out the varient rules.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I like revised Third Edition very much - which doesn't mean I won't occasionally mess around with some of its elements. I doubt I'd ever DM a game in a setting that looked anything like the default, for instance, but that doesn't necessarily entail changing the ruleset.

Michael Tree

First Post
I'm still enjoying D&D3e, but I've become a bit disillusioned with the vancian magic system, the way high level play works, and the everpresence of stat-buffing magic items.

If you combined Arcana Evolved's magic system with a simplified Iron Lore and the D&D class archetypes, it would be my favorite high fantasy system.

scadgrad

First Post
I grew disillusioned about a year and a half ago and then got drawn into C&C as a houserules set for 3.5. Since that point I've utterly gave up on RAW 3.X and most of the d20/ogl variations, unless they're rules lite like True20. I'm also running Call of Cthulu and an occasional WHRPG.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Still playing 3.5, almost completely as written, and I'm having a blast with it.

I'm playing in a PbP Iron Heroes, and I'd like to start an Iron Heroes game sometime if I can find some players around here. Not because of any disillusionment with 3.5, though, of course. I want to play both.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Not.

I'm not dissillusioned at all. Sure, I like to mix it up with a variant rule here and there when I DM just to keep it fresh, but I'm playing in a straight up 3.5e game and having a good time.

Last time I ran the game, I put a couple of UA variants in (spell points, spellcaster levels, etc.), but the only variant I keep steady is the Reserve Point variant from UA.

Basically, I'm having fun playing 3.5e as is, so I'm not even thinking about asking the DM to alter aspects of it.

shadow

First Post
I really loved 3rd edition when it first came out. However, 3.5 came out I (along with the rest of my gaming group) hated the revision so much that we have forsook D&D altogether. I tried to like the revised edition, I really did. However, after examining it in detail, I was unable to find a single change that I liked! We just couldn't see 3.5 as anything other than a money grab by WotC, so we ended up switching to Castles & Crusades which isn't going to make us buy a new edition every few years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads