• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you become disillusioned with 3rd edition?

Still playing 3rd edition?

• I still play 3.0/3.5 pretty much as written.

Votes: 301 62.1%
  • I still play 3.0/3.5 but with a number of changes

Votes: 122 25.2%
  • What I play is still technically 3rd edition, but with a ton of changes

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play a d20 system, based on 3rd edition (e.g., d20 modern)

Votes: 68 14.0%
  • I play an OGL game (e.g., C&C)

Votes: 63 13.0%
  • My game is a hybrid of a bunch of different games, including 3rd edition

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • I play something completely different, like GURPS or Rolemaster.

Votes: 65 13.4%

BluWolf

Explorer
Love it. Recenlty updated campaigm from 3.0 to 3.5 heavily modified because of campaign specifics. I think this is actually one of the strengths of 3.5/D20/OGL.

Its like making meatloaf.

Everybody likes meatloaf.

der_kluge said:
I'm just curious how many people here are still playing 3rd edition (3.0/3.5) or you've managed to find some other offshoot that you enjoy more?
Currently playing 3.5 edition Age of Worms, but in recent campaigns we've also played some d20 homegrown offshoot, d20 Modern and d20 Call of Cthulhu.

My biggest disillusionment with third edition still is that it became 3.5.

GVDammerung

First Post
Michael Tree said:
I'm still enjoying D&D3e, but I've become a bit disillusioned with the vancian magic system, the way high level play works, and the everpresence of stat-buffing magic items.

Exactly. "Disillusioned" may be too strong a term but it gets the idea across very well. The reliance on magic items and the rigor of DMing much over 12th Level is such that it makes me well disposed to talk of a 4th Edition. 3X is "broken" at higher levels. IMO.

Bastoche

First Post
Completely utterly and irreversibly disillusionned. Ironically, I still play 3.5 in one of the greatest campaign I've ever played.

However if we played with ANY system but 3.X, it would be infinitly better. Each session, we are struggling with the rules. Granted, the DM is anal about playing RAW and canon FRCS which could be considered the root of the problem IMO. But that campaign made me realized how much the 3.X ruleset fits only one kind of game. Anything that goes beyond that become a VERY boring strategy game.

I've been a very stong advocate for 3.X since it came out. But since about 2 months, I'm profondly digusted by it. It will be my last D&D ever. I don't know what I'll play next.

For those of you who wonder why I keep playing?

1) the other players don't have the same opinion of the impact of the rules on the game as me. Therefore they don't see the point of changing system since the campaign is (for them) a complete success. The DM, of course, who planned ahead do not want to change system

2) I wanted to quit at some point but part of the enjoyment felt by my friends came by the fact that I played with them. If I quitted, the would quit too and nobody wanted that.

3) I'm not the kind of [insert unsuited word for Eric's grandma] who can't make some compromise. I hate the system, I begin to hate the setting but we can make minor changes that would make me happy enough to keep playing.

What next? I'm sick of d20 in general and overcomplicated systems. I'd like to play in the star wars campaign setting but with a simple system (True20 is still too complicated to my liking!). Probably a homebrew dice pool style.

Melan

Explorer
I was disillusioned two years ago. Right now, I am happy running a C&C Basic game with some d20 and 1e stuff thrown in. I have found that limiting myself to a select number of options is liberating. I don't need more. So that's it. I don't love 3e anymore, and wouldn't really like to play it again barring some extraordinary DMing, but I don't hate it either. Now, some attitudes typically found in 3e players still drive me up the wall. But I guess there are oldschooler attitudes which do the same.

evildmguy

Explorer
I am running (GM) a FR campaign with Alternity rules. So, the ideas and concepts are DND but the rules are not.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Chaldfont

First Post
I'm still Dming a campaign I started back when 3.0 came out. We are working up to a Grand Finale. But I'm getting burned out on the amount of time it takes to prep a game for 14th level characters. I'm looking forward to going back to being a player and only working on one character. Or playing something else, like a bunch of short, 1-3 session campaigns in other game systems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads