Help with KotS Wizard Pregen

I suspect -- hope, really -- that the rules for rituals will make the wizard feel more wizardly. 'Cause right now, he's a ranged fighter with magical flavor text who lights the room when he sneezes.

ZetaStriker

First Post
Wait, how are things like Sleep and Acid Arrow, the spells in question, anything like what a Fighter does? Or the various Cantrips they have access to? Magic missile is the one ability that even comes close to the description you're putting out there, Olgar.

C'mon now, grant me a little hyperbole!

In all seriousness, yes, the powers are different. Yet mechanically they have a similar feel to me ... attack roll, damage value, secondary effect for everything. One thing I've liked about wizards in previous editions is that they did things that were simply different than other characters -- both mechanically and flavor-wise. Now the rogue rolls an attack, does damage, and bamfs three spaces; the wizard rolls as attack, does damage, and has it stick. I'm hoping rituals restores a little magical wonkiness. Not power, but differentness, as in: "hey look! a floating disc that can carry our treasure!"

Olgar Shiverstone said:
C'mon now, grant me a little hyperbole!

In all seriousness, yes, the powers are different. Yet mechanically they have a similar feel to me ... attack roll, damage value, secondary effect for everything. One thing I've liked about wizards in previous editions is that they did things that were simply different than other characters -- both mechanically and flavor-wise. Now the rogue rolls an attack, does damage, and bamfs three spaces; the wizard rolls as attack, does damage, and has it stick. I'm hoping rituals restores a little magical wonkiness. Not power, but differentness, as in: "hey look! a floating disc that can carry our treasure!"

I think you'll be happy with rituals, then. I'm currently playing an 11th-level wizard in a home game and I love my rituals!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I have to admit, from what little I know of rituals (some info gleaned from people who've read the PHB) I'm really excited to get my hands on them. And I never even PLAY wizards...

Fitz

Blackeagle

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
I have to admit, from what little I know of rituals (some info gleaned from people who've read the PHB) I'm really excited to get my hands on them. And I never even PLAY wizards...

Hey, even if you're not a wizard, all you've got to do is take the feat.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Blackeagle said:
Hey, even if you're not a wizard, all you've got to do is take the feat.

If you're in a stable party, it's almost never a good idea for more than one person to take Ritual Casting. You all can pitch in for the spell components.

Remove ads