Critical Role Here's The Cover Of The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount; Plus It's #15 In Amazon Bestsellers!

While Amazon may have revealed the title and description of The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount earlier, it had no cover art. Barnes & Noble, on the other hand, has the cover but at the time of writing no title or description. Here it is!

9780786966912_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

The official announcement should be coming later today. In the meantime, the book - which has not yet been announced! - is already #15 in the bestsellers chart for all books on Amazon, based only on pre-orders. That's pretty astonishing for a book which 'officially' doesn't even exist yet (although the announcement is expected later today).

Sales Rank.png

dave2008

Legend
20-somethings may be the target audience. They also have no attention span to speak of. 50 and 60 year olds have been the glue holding the hobby together and have continued to buy product for decades. If they aren't interested in this book, it'll be long forgotten while fatbeards continue buying PDF versions of the original Greyhawk Folio for the next 10 years.
Just so you are aware, their audience donated 11.4 million dollars to their kickstarter to produce 2 seasons of a cartoon for this setting. Their followers can and will spend money.

Not to mention the book is currently #1 in D&D and #3 in all books!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Their stream is free. That doesn't translate into book sales 1:1.

Mark my words.

Free views on twitch and YouTube don't translate into book sales. This will come out, sell for a few weeks, and then disappear.

20-somethings may be the target audience. They also have no attention span to speak of. 50 and 60 year olds have been the glue holding the hobby together and have continued to buy product for decades. If they aren't interested in this book, it'll be long forgotten while fatbeards continue buying PDF versions of the original Greyhawk Folio for the next 10 years.
Doubling down, huh? "It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off." *

*This is a quote from a 21st century movie, to provide some context.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Mark my words.

Free views on twitch and YouTube don't translate into book sales. This will come out, sell for a few weeks, and then disappear.

The shows are free, but anybody willing to sing hundreds of hours into the show is highly likely to sink a few bucks into an artistically pleasing book. CR already has several art books that sell well.

D&D is already selling on people who love this show: that's where the game is at now.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Just so you are aware, their audience donated 11.4 million dollars to their kickstarter to produce 2 seasons of a cartoon for this setting. Their followers can and will spend money.

Not to mention the book is currently #1 in D&D and #3 in all books!
Show me the Venn diagram of people who watch their show vs those who actually play vs those who buy more than the core books. It's not 11.4 million worth who will actually buy this book.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak

Mark my words.

No.

3catcircus

Adventurer
To be clear @3catcircus, I recognize that there will be no 1:1 sale ratio. But, to say that WotC must pander to the grognards and the grognards only while dismissing a book which is already selling extremely well is just silly.
Amazon preorders aren't actual sales. I've got like 50 items in my Amazon cart right now. When I actually complete the transaction probably 90% or more of those items won't be subsequently on their way to my house...

dave2008

Legend
I'm not quite 50, but I am getting there (46) and I have been playing since middle school if not elementary school (can't remember that well when we started). I have bought more product in the 5e era than any other. In fact, I'm quickly approaching more content in 5e than all other's combined (mostly skipped 2e and completely skipped 3e). I will check this book out and see what it has to offer. I never even looked grayhawk or forgetten realms or spelljammer or dark sun or planescape or etc, back in the day. I ran my homebrew setting from the begining and that was that. My point: I don't think everyone who has played D&D for 30 yrs has fond memories of products of yore with buying tendencies to match.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Amazon preorders aren't actual sales. I've got like 50 items in my Amazon cart right now. When I actually complete the transaction probably 90% or more of those items won't be subsequently on their way to my house...
Pre-orders are not the same as cart-saved items. And, pre-orders are not often cancelled.

To be clear, putting an item in your cart is not equivalent to paying to pre-order it. :rolleyes:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases