D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Yaarel

He Mage
Disability justice is about recognizing that having a disability doesn't make your experience with life worse, just different.
I read the above sentence to mean "harm is good". Blindness is good. Being blind is just as good as having sight.

Both my friends want sight. They disagree blindness is just as good.

They are heroic, competent, and so on. Because they deal with the harm of blindness.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The line of thinking that magic makes it so people have no excuse for non-conformity gets real special and super anti-inclusive when you realize how alter self is an actually easy to attain spell.

If a spell that in no way alters eyesight aside from the blindness condition is no excuse to have glasses, what do people have 'no excuse' for when one can easily alter height, weight, eye, hair and skin color, bone structure, etc. Why is everyone not literally the same perfect person as everyone else? It doesn't make narrative sense, guys!

To be clear this is a terrible argument and I'd like people to stop making it because it's... very not okay.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Umbran

A difficulty is, D&D includes fantasy cultures. Even ones where magic or other technology can remedy blindness or have utopian economies, or so on.

In such a culture, blindness implies a choice to be blind, which requires narrative explanation. Or perhaps it is a powerful magic, and community lacking high enough levels to counter it. Or it is a recent injury, or so on.

I value inclusivity. There needs to be ways that make narrative sense.
Mod Note:

You’ve been here long enough to know that responding to moderation posts in thread is a violation of site rules.

Time for you to take a vac from this thread to contemplate…well…things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A difficulty is, D&D includes fantasy cultures. Even ones where magic or other technology can remedy blindness or have utopian economies, or so on.

Mod Note:
Moderation posts are NOT an invitation to discussion or argument.

We honestly do not care if the failure to erase these issues offends your sense of what settings should be - the major settings ARE NOT utopias, and never have been.

The game serves the needs of REAL WORLD people. Real world people have infirmities, and face a whole lot of discrimination because of it. If you are not up for considering their sensibilities, you are not up for this discussion. You can either come into line on that, or you can be removed from the discussion.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
As for the image.

Not my cup of tea, but even so it looks to me like a very competently drawn high level wizard. Power to aspire to, not a first level or even fifth level mage, more lika an arch-mage. I assume it won't be placed without context either in the rules, so what it is supposed to illustrate will be exceedingly clear, I imagine.

Cool image but I'm on an Erol Otus bend at the moment, so I'm more excited about that kind of images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads