D&D 5E Hex is a WAY better spell than Hunters Mark

I've used Hex with my Warlock to aid in Stealth. Actively hiding comes into play far more often than passively searching for a creature you Marked as it tries to hide. Hex gets the win there.

However, Hex causes necrotic damage which is a coin toss. It could be very good (against creatures normally immune or resistant to non-magical attacks) or very bad (creatures immune or resistant to necrotic).

DM makes mistakes, it's just part of the game. It happens to all of us :)

For sure,

also I have to admit I thought you needed to hit first to impose the disadvantage to a save type. I’ve learnt a lot today. Hard to argue with the thread title at this point.

I guess in the end it comes down to flavour, hexing isn’t for everyone (on a thematic level)

Lyxen

Great Old One
Honestly, in all these years of playing 5e since it came out, there have been extremely few times in which Hex has been useful in its secondary application of lowering an ability check made a difference. Hex is a combat spell, it's obvious when it's cast, and it does not last long enough (see below) to make a difference in combat.

Moreover, it's concentration, if you're a caster, you have a better use for your concentration, and if you're martial, you will get hit often enough that you will lose your concentration anyway.

Frankly, there are many level 1 spells that are much more useful, are cast much more often, and are actually upcast, no-one in our groups has ever upcast hex. And honestly, paying a feat for that seems extravagant to me.

Of course, depending on your campaign and personal style of play, YMMV, but a ranger has Hunter's Mark by default and it does the job perfectly fine, including when it escapes and you try to find it again.

For sure,

also I have to admit I thought you needed to hit first to impose the disadvantage to a save type. I’ve learnt a lot today. Hard to argue with the thread title at this point.

I guess in the end it comes down to flavour, hexing isn’t for everyone (on a thematic level)
I could be wrong, but I think Hex just causes disadvantage to ability checks, not saving throws.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Moreover, it's concentration, if you're a caster, you have a better use for your concentration, and if you're martial, you will get hit often enough that you will lose your concentration anyway.
Isn't hunter's mark a concentration spell too?

Remove ads