D&D 5E Hex is a WAY better spell than Hunters Mark

ECMO3

Hero
I often get Hex through a feat on my Martials, Wizards and Rogues so I use it a lot and I think it is an awesome spell, perhaps the best 1st level spell at low and mid tier.

I am playing a Ranger now though and I decided to forgo hex and go with hunters mark and I will just say these spells are not equals. The damage is fine, but Hex is so much more useful - Hex wisdom to make it easier to hide, hex dexterity or strength to make it easier to shove or grapple or to keep someone from breaking out of a spell like web. Then the noncombat uses-Hex intelligence or wisdom from afar to help in social interaction or making it tougher to spot illusions.

I don't think I have ever used the perception advantage rider on Hunters Mark. For the most part, all this spell does is give an extra d6 damge, which like I said is fine, but I find myself thinking Oh I will hex his ..... and then I realize I have Hunters Mark, not Hex.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
Overall Hex has a bit more versatility than Hunter's Mark, but the difference in the spells in a vacuum is pretty minimal. The real difference is the spell lists it's on, as Hunter's Mark is given to half-casters, while Hex goes to warlock. A 1st level spell slot is a lot more costly for the half casters than the warlock, and the warlock can much more easily get the 8 hour duration (not to mention the 24 hr duration).

ECMO3

Hero
Overall Hex has a bit more versatility than Hunter's Mark, but the difference in the spells in a vacuum is pretty minimal. The real difference is the spell lists it's on, as Hunter's Mark is given to half-casters, while Hex goes to warlock. A 1st level spell slot is a lot more costly for the half casters than the warlock, and the warlock can much more easily get the 8 hour duration (not to mention the 24 hr duration).
I don't think I have ever used the 8 or 24 hour duration.

Many (most?) of my characters are Rogues with expertise in Athletics, with hide happening often and shove happening occasionally. So maybe the Hex disadvantage is bigger for me than it is for most players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hex adds 1d6 per round to an attack, where as Hunters mark adds 1d6 per attack. So for a Ranger it has the potential to double the damage from level 5 on.

Iry

Hero
Hex is certainly more versatile. You can even Hex their Dexterity to give you something similar (in reverse) to Hunter Mark's advantage on Perception and Survival checks. And while Dexterity is not guaranteed to be the stat they use to hide/run away from you, you can pick whatever is appropriate, and the penalty helps your entire party find/track the target instead of just you.

Remove ads