• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit Points, Hit Dice, Healing and Constitution - The Whole Shabang!

Is it just me, or does the rules given in the play test material regarding Hit Points, Hit Dice, Healing, and Constitution all seem a little... off? It isn't that I expect perfection out of the gate, but it doesn't seem well thought out either.

Take Constitution's effect on rolled hit-points for example; doesn't it seem a little lopsided? Also the use of "Hit Dice" for short rests, and full Hit Points for long rests. And, just where is the D10 Hit Die? And why is the Wizard stuck with a crummy D4 - AGAIN!

It's not that there isn't good ideas; I like the short rest / long rest idea, I like self healing and less reliance on Clerics or Potions, and I like that bed rest doesn't take forever... but does it need to be so instantaneous? Starting characters with Con as hit points is an idea I've been thinking about myself, for a while - but negative modifiers still need to have an impact.

Here is what I'm thinking; Give fighters d10s, Rogues/Clerics d8s, and Wizards d6... And DON'T provide Con Bonus/Penalty to hit points. (Stay with me) For short rests, you get a die type smaller than your hit die plus your Con Bonus/Penalty, and you only get a number of short rests equal to 1/3rd your level. For long rests, you regain a number of hit points equal to your Con + Level.

I think this would be a better middle ground between the 2nd edition self healing and 4th edition self healing - both of which are at the extremes of the spectrum.

What to you think?

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I think we're going to see a myriad of hp/HD/healing rules over the length of the playtest.

I think we're going to see "dials" to set Long Rest and Short Rest healing to taste in the final product.

I think the fighter d10, rogue/cleric d8, and wizard d6 is what we're going to get. I remember reading that recently from . . . somewhere. I think this playtest has an "old" version of wizard HD.

Gold Roger

First Post
I just wrote this for another thread, but given it fits in this threat, I'll quote myself:
...snip...

It's exactly the opposite from what we heard from previous playtests and Mike Mearls recent L&L article that was written when the package was almost finished

I suspect/hope that this isn't the real deal on healing rules, but a quick and dirty solution for the first round playtest, so it runs quicker and can stay "on scene".

So yeah, I think healing simply isn't playtested this round, so they just threw the easiest solution in.

Remove ads