Holy Water or other weapons for undead?

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Due to some investigation and interrogation, my PCs in Shadowfell keep know that they have a necromancer and some undead waiting for them. Since they're headed back to town to rest, they had the idea to get some holy water to help with the undead.

Apparently, though, there isn't any holy water in 4e, or none that I can find. I don't want to just tell them "no", since I'd like to reward their planning and thinking.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I could give them? I was thinking that the town priest might have some ritual scrolls that would protect against the undead, or a one-use weapon, or something.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
My (former 3.x) players asked me the same thing. So I let them buy holy water for 25 gp per vial.

Thrown Holy Water
Standard Action Ranged 3/6
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 0 radiant damage

Nothing too exiting really, but they liked being able to get it.

cmbarona

First Post
Well... to contribute something a tad more useful...

I read in an alchemy excerpt ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080814b ) about making "Alchemist's Fire." I'd use this as a template, but make it much cheaper because of the specificity of its use. I'd cut the price in half and play test its effectiveness. The differing levels could account for higher-level clerics making the water.

brehobit

Explorer
I like the 0 radiant, but it seems a bit too weak. How about radiant damage equal to radiant vulnerability? So in effect, 2x vulnerability...

Mark

Syrsuro

First Post
My (former 3.x) players asked me the same thing. So I let them buy holy water for 25 gp per vial.

Thrown Holy Water
Standard Action Ranged 3/6
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 0 radiant damage

Nothing too exiting really, but they liked being able to get it.

I think I would have flipped open to page 42 and gone with something a bit more effective. Probably using the Low Normal Damage expression on the hit target. I also like the idea of 0 to 1 points of radiant damage to each surrounding, but I'm not sure I like how that interacts with vulnerability.

Carl

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
These are some good ideas. Thanks everyone!

I'd forgotten about the alchemical stuff upcoming in the equipment book (and this is after I just gave the PCs some of those items last session...)

I'll have to go through and read that again.

Since the group has a paladin but not a cleric, I was also thinking of including a daily item (probably a holy symbol) that would turn undead. Basically it would just allow the paladin to use his channel divinity as the cleric ability once per day. Any thoughts on that?

Syrsuro

First Post
Since the group has a paladin but not a cleric, I was also thinking of including a daily item (probably a holy symbol) that would turn undead. Basically it would just allow the paladin to use his channel divinity as the cleric ability once per day. Any thoughts on that?

Pretty obvious candidate for a magical Holy Symbol. Give it a daily power to turn undead and you're done.

Using the rules for wands (another implement so it seems appropriate) which allow building encounter powers into the implement as a daily, and calling Turn Undead a level 1 encounter power (more or less correct), this would make it a Level 3 item.

Carl

underfoot007

First Post
These are some good ideas. Thanks everyone!

I'd forgotten about the alchemical stuff upcoming in the equipment book (and this is after I just gave the PCs some of those items last session...)

I'll have to go through and read that again.

take a look at the feat "pelors radiance" phb page 199, I think this might work nicely.

Good luck

Jon

Remove ads