Homebrew Fighting Styles Thread

Fragsie

Explorer
While working on my own homebrew setting, I have built a list of Fighting Styles. While searching for ideas that other people have come up with, I've fallen a bit short... There must be more out there that I haven't come across, and I expect there are some gems of ideas out there hidden within homebrew classes. S I thought I could create a list to solve this issue for anyone else looking for the same thing as me.

Below are listed all the Fighting Styles from the PHB and other sources, Including some that I have created or adapted for my own setting. Anyone out there who has found or created other Fighting styles, please chime in and post a link if it's appropriate and I will update the list.

[sblock=WoTC Published][sblock=PHB]
  • Archery
  • Defence
  • Duelling
  • Great Weapon Fighting
  • Protection
  • Two Weapon Fighting
[/sblock][sblock=Unearthed Arcana]
  • Close Quarters Shooting - You are trained in making ranged attacks at close quarters. When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. Finally you have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.

• Tunnel Fighting - You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces. As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using you reaction, and you can use your reaction to make an attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

• Mariner - As long as you are not wearing heavy armour or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Homebrew]
Spirit RPG (Sci-Fantasy)

• Devastator - (fighter) You can move in the same turn as you make an attack with a heavy fire-arm, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage with ranged attacks.

• Gunslinger - (fighter, ranger) When you engage in dual wielded shooting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

• Gun-Fu - (fighter, paladin, ranger) You can wield any small arm with which you are proficient as a melee weapon that deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage, and has the finesse property. Small arms with the light property retain that property when used in this way. Also when you are hit with a melee attack you can use your reaction to push the attacker 5 feet away from you.

• Voider - (fighter, ranger) While you are in a zero-G environment and have at least one hand free you retain your proficiency bonus to attacks, and you can move at your normal speed. You also gain a +2 bonus to Initiative.

dandwiki.com

• Brutal - With every hit of a weapon you are wielding with two hands, you can choose to subject a tiny-medium sized opponent to make a Strength save where the DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. Upon a failed save, the creature is knocked 5 ft away from you.

• Distraction - When you attack with your weapon your mighty bellow and antics tend attract attention. When you take the Attack action on your turn, as a bonus action, you may subject creatures hostile to you within 10 to make a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail, they focus their attention on you, granting them disadvantage on their attacks and perception checks if it is not against you.

• Mounted Archery - While riding your Steed, you can make an extra ranged attack at disadvantage against a target within 15 feet of you when you take the Attack action on your turn.

• Mounted Defence - While you are wearing armour you gain resistance against slashing damage from non-magical weapons. While your Steed is wearing barding, it gains +1 bonus to AC and resistance to slashing damage from non-magical weapons.

• Mounted Duelling - While riding your Steed and wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain +1 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

• Mounted Two-Weapon Fighting - While riding your Steed, when you land a critical hit, you can use your reaction to make another weapon attack.

• Reach Weapon Fighting - When you use a reach weapon to attack a creature further than 10 feet away from you, and you can use your reaction for attacks of opportunity against that creatures at that distance.

• Stylish - When you attack with your weapon you tend to show off. When you take the Attack action on your turn, as a bonus action, you may subject a creature within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw where the DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. If they fail, they focus their attention on you, granting them disadvantage on their next attack if it is not against you.

Gnomes2169@Giantitp.com/forums/

• Acrobatic - (fighter, ranger) You may use Acrobatics instead of Athletics when you use a combat manoeuvre like the shove or disarm action, and have advantage on checks made to avoid or escape grapples, restraints and magical paralysis.

• Charging - (Fighter, ranger) When you dash, you may move an additional 10 feet and may make an attack with a melee weapon against a creature as part of the dash. ((Note, the Charger feat gains the point that if you have this fighting style, you add the +5 damage bonus to the attack from this fighting style as well))

• Executioner - (fighter) When you damage a creature that is blind, frightened, restrained, paralysed, prone or stunned, you double the damage provided by your ability modifier. On a critical hit, you triple your ability modifier instead.

• Phalanx - (fighter, paladin, ranger) When an ally within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a creature in your reach, you may use your reaction to give your ally advantage on their attack roll.

• Smiting - (paladin) When you use your divine smite class feature or cast a spell with the word "smite" in its name, you may increase the damage the feature or spell deals by your charisma modifier.

• Skirmish - (ranger) When you damage a creature from hiding, you may remain hidden until the end of your turn as long as you move. If you end your turn behind a new piece of cover, you may make a new stealth check to attempt to remain hidden as a reaction.

• Throwing weapons - (fighter, ranger) You double the range of your throwing weapons, may draw extra throwing weapons as part of the attack action, and have a +2 bonus on attack rolls made in the short range of your throwing weapons. ((This fighting style is this powerful because throwing weapons have just... So many weaknesses that it isn't even funny. This is compensation for that fact.))

• Unarmed - (fighter) Your unarmed attacks count as 1d4 light, finesse weapons for all purposes except disarming. Additionally, any effect or ability that increases your unarmed strike damage, such as the Aarakokra race, each level of monk unarmed attack progression or the tavern brawler feat, increases the size of the damage die of your unarmed strike by one (to a maximum of 1d12).

• Unarmoured - (fighter) When you are not wearing armour, your armour class is equal to 12+your dexterity modifier. Additionally, you gain a climb and swim speed equal to your normal movement speed, and may increase the distance you jump by your constitution modifier.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
"Devastator - (fighter) You can move in the same turn as you make an attack with a heavy weapon, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage with ranged attacks." You can always move in the same turn you make an attack ... "heavy" just means small characters can't use it. Unless this is a rule from another system that I'm missing.

The others look fine, if not a bit specific.

Ultimately, I'd rather see all fighting styles give cool bonus actions or reactions, instead of raw

Fragsie

Explorer
"heavy" just means small characters can't use it. Unless this is a rule from another system that I'm missing.
You're right, I missed the crossover of terminology there, it's in reference to larger fire-arms; like a gatling gun or missile launcher. It's referencing a weapon type (like 'simple weapons' or 'martial weapons') rather than the heavy weapon property, I suppose i need to come up with a new term so as to avoid confusion. Thanks for pointing this out to me :)

The others look fine, if not a bit specific.
Thankyou, but specific in what way? could you expand on that please? The styles I've created are for a setting that contains a lot of fire-arms and fighting styles are one of the quickest ways to adapt multiple classes to that setting assumption.

Ultimately, I'd rather see all fighting styles give cool bonus actions or reactions, instead of raw
Why don't you come up with some? Personally I'm not sure about the idea, other than the UA Underdark styles, none of the official style do this. Rather they tend to give a flat bonus of some sort to show familiarity with a style, actions or reactions come from your class.... but I'm not totally against the idea.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Slightly related, but how different in "power" are feats and fighting styles? Aren't fighting styles essentially just feats with prereq: fighter, ranger, paladin?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I don't get why in an entire forum for homebrew we should submit fighting styles to your thread specifically. It seems... unneeded.

Fragsie

Explorer
I don't get why in an entire forum for homebrew we should submit fighting styles to your thread specifically. It seems... unneeded.

Short answer; you needn't. I'm not looking to lay claim to anything, or expecting anything... As I intimated in the original post, I went in search of a compiled list of fighting styles, and didn't find much, so I thought it would be beneficial for others if I attempted to do such a thing. There's no great expectation, I'm not saying my list has to be the only one either. I intend to sift through some of the stuff I have found on the webs and update the original post as I go.
If it truly is unneeded then I guess the thread will fade into obscurity and die. Perhaps I should have just posted my own homebrew ones for critique and left it at that. You know what they say; no good deed...

Xeviat

Hero
Thankyou, but specific in what way? could you expand on that please? The styles I've created are for a setting that contains a lot of fire-arms and fighting styles are one of the quickest ways to adapt multiple classes to that setting assumption.

Oh, just that they're very campaign specific and I was expecting to see more generic things.

Why don't you come up with some? Personally I'm not sure about the idea, other than the UA Underdark styles, none of the official style do this. Rather they tend to give a flat bonus of some sort to show familiarity with a style, actions or reactions come from your class.... but I'm not totally against the idea.

Working on it. It's number 3 on my to-do list.

Xeviat

Hero
Slightly related, but how different in "power" are feats and fighting styles? Aren't fighting styles essentially just feats with prereq: fighter, ranger, paladin?

They're ... almost feats. A combat feat is comparable to +1 to hit, +1 damage, +1 ability check, +1 saving throw, and a little something extra (generally compared to +2 Str or +2 Dex). Dueling is more damage, but definitely not the whole package. Archery is more to hit, but not the rest. I'd say a fighting style is more comparable to half a feat.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
They're ... almost feats. A combat feat is comparable to +1 to hit, +1 damage, +1 ability check, +1 saving throw, and a little something extra (generally compared to +2 Str or +2 Dex). Dueling is more damage, but definitely not the whole package. Archery is more to hit, but not the rest. I'd say a fighting style is more comparable to half a feat.

Thank you. I'm thinking through a thrown weapon thing and don't know if it would be better as a fighting style or feat.

Xeviat

Hero
Weapon specialization stuff really seems to fit in better as Fighting Styles in this edition. It makes me wish the fighter got more specialized versions, to hearken back to their Mastery and Grand Mastery.

Remove ads