Legend

Following is the stat block.

Hill Giant Champion
Huge giant (hill), chaotic evil
Armor Class 18 (plate armor)
Hit Points 262 (21d12 + 126)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
23 (+6) DEX 13 (+1) CON 23 (+6) INT 11 (+0) WIS 11 (+0) CHA 6 (-2)

Saving Throws
Str +11, Dex +6, Con +11
Skills Athletics +11, Acrobatics +6, Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Giant, Common
Challenge 14 (11500 XP)

I think this guy is a little tough for a hill giant. Its CR is higher than a storm giant's! Pretty nice, non-the-less.

However, though not mentioned by the OP, I think it is generally accepted that you should post your own creations in your own thread unless contributions are specifically requested by the OP.

dave2008

Legend
Inspired me to do two quick sketches...well 1.25 sketches

Hill Giant Chief
4UdMWdY.jpg

Hill Giant Priest of Grolantor/ Hill Giant Chef :)
5hgYuUf.jpg

I would like to know what animal that leg he is holding belongs too!

PaleMage

Explorer
I think this guy is a little tough for a hill giant. Its CR is higher than a storm giant's! Pretty nice, non-the-less.

Your reply is racist and predictable... :cool:
"We poor hill giant are not all the same kind".

The problem with DnD is that all creatures are printed in the personal knowledge-base [aka brain] of every player since 1st edition, so you have to surprise them with something unexpected. An Hill Giant posing the threat of a Storm Giant is what I think matches a good unexpected challenge in a giant of their kin lair.

However, though not mentioned by the OP, I think it is generally accepted that you should post your own creations in your own thread unless contributions are specifically requested by the OP.

Here I must totally disagree... the problem with ENWorld is that contributions are scattered among thousends of threads, most of them (usually) with a subject that does'nt match their contents. For once an user tried to post a decent matching subject, I see no reason to scatter the same kind of content in a different thread, unless the original starter should ask specifically.

On the other hand, since I foresaw a reaction of this type, my blog will be a reference point and catalog for all the findings on this topic.

dave2008

Legend
Here I must totally disagree... the problem with ENWorld is that contributions are scattered among thousends of threads, most of them (usually) with a subject that does'nt match their contents. For once an user tried to post a decent matching subject, I see no reason to scatter the same kind of content in a different thread, unless the original starter should ask specifically.

I don't see a reason to scatter such information either, I just think you should ask / get permission first. I don't see how you could totally disagree with that.

dave2008

Legend
..., so you have to surprise them with something unexpected. An Hill Giant posing the threat of a Storm Giant is what I think matches a good unexpected challenge in a giant of their kin lair.

I get that, and think it is a good idea, however the OP is already doing that. I just feel CR 14 is too high, that's all. Well, let me clarify, I think that is too high, IMO, relative to their entries in the MM. I do feel all giants could stand to have higher CR's in general.

PaleMage

Explorer
I just think you should ask / get permission first. I don't see how you could totally disagree with that.

Mate, don't get me wrong, but this is a community, not the personal forum of anyone. I agree on the netiquette since it was created in early '80s, but I see no reason to ask someone to use a tool for what it's intended for... commune. :angel:

dave2008

Legend
Mate, don't get me wrong, but this is a community, not the personal forum of anyone. I agree on the netiquette since it was created in early '80s, but I see no reason to ask someone to use a tool for what it's intended for... commune. :angel:

We shall agree to disagree then.

On to the frost giants! This post will detail the frost giant reaver, a melee berserker who will often be found leading raiding parties or as acting guards in settlements. Right up front I do have to say that it wouldn't be too far off to call it just a weaker form of the frost giant everlasting one from VGtM - without the regeneration, the extra heads, and all the weird fluff that goes along with those - but hopefully it's changed enough to earn it its own niche....

Frost Giant Reaver

Frost giants admire and respect martial prowess. Those that prove that they are more skilled in combat than their fellows occupy an honored place in frost giant society as frost giant reavers. These elite warriors, having shown themselves worthy of leadership by the simple expedient of being able to defeat any underlings who might question otherwise, lead the raiding parties of their tribe and are the enforcers of power within their settlements. Through their prowess in successive battles, each of them works towards the day that they gain the blessing of Thrym and succeed (or supplant) the current jarl and come to rule their tribe.
Warband Leaders
A frost giant reaver is often encountered as the leader of a warband or raiding party. They are no armchair generals, though, preferring to lead from the front, swinging their greataxes in great frothing rages that can strike fear into the hearts of even the most seasoned veteran. With a reaver plunging violently forward into their enemies' ranks, the remainder of the frost giant warband often has little to do other than to dispatch a few dazed survivors in the reaver's wake. Fighting fleets with reaver captains usually results in messy, chaotic affairs, with incessant ramming and bloodthirsty boarding parties who take no quarter.
Reluctant Guards
On the very rare occasions that the frost giant reavers are not out leading war parties, they are often employed by the local jarls as guards, either for the settlements as a whole, or in elite bodyguard units for the jarls themselves. Many chafe at such duties, feeling bored and restless at what they see as forced inaction. The more clever ones, however, use these periods in order to advance their plans towards ruling their settlements, either by building up a power base among the populace (usually through methods that amount to little more than mere bullying), or by observing the jarl at close quarters and ascertaining any less apparent flaws or weaknesses the reaver may be able exploit during a challenge for the leadership - or both.
Testing their Strength
Should frost giant reavers grow bored of guard duty, and there are no immediate plans for a raid, they may go out alone into the wilderness and seek out worthy challenges as a further tests of strength. Reavers will often hunt down savage and powerful creatures such as remorhazes, or even white dragons, with the purpose of proving their prowess in battle. Frost giant reavers who return to their settlements dragging the carcasses of such mighty beasts behind them gain much esteem in the eyes of their fellow frost giants, helping to position themselves to become the next jarl when the time is right.

Frost Giant Reaver
Huge giant (frost giant), chaotic evil

Armor Class 15 (patchwork armor)
Hit Points 161 (14d12 + 70)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 23 (+6) DEX 9 (-1) CON 21 (+5) INT 9 (-1) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 12 (+1)

Saving Throws Con +9, Wis +4, Cha +5
Skills Athletics +10, Perception +4
Damage Immunities cold
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Giant
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

Berserker Rage (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). As a bonus action, the giant can enter a rage at the start of its turn. The rage lasts for 1 minute or until the giant is incapacitated. While raging, the giant gains the following benefits:

The giant has advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When it makes a melee weapon attack, the giant gains a +4 bonus to the damage roll.
The giant has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage

Reckless. At the start of its turn, the giant can gain advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls it makes during that turn, but attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two greataxe attacks.

Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (3d12 + 6) slashing damage or 29 (3d12 + 10) slashing damage while raging.

Rock Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Next up, I'll be doing the frost giant jarl, before getting into some rather esoteric frost giant variants...

Last edited:

Remove ads