D&D 5E Homebrew Giant Elites

Sneaky

First Post
I let my party use the gloves of missile snaring on rocks the giants throw (which requires a ranged weapon attack) , so I don't see why they can't benefit from sneak attack.

dave2008

Legend
So... if somehow while organizing my giants into nice PDF form I was inspired to create a few more giants to add to those I already had, I have an interesting question:

If a giant variant were to be built on a rogue chassis, would the ranged rock attack be eligible for sneak attack damage? Rogue sneak attack damage is possible if the weapon used is "a finesse or ranged weapon", which reading up on various interpretations seems to indicate anything under simple ranged, martial ranged, or any melee that has the finesse quality. Since the rocks are never used for melee combat, they would seem to fall exclusively under the ranged category, and, thus, from my reading, be eligible for sneak attack damage.

Any other opinions for or against?
I think that sounds acceptable. A rock thrown by a giant should hurt a lot, especially if you don't know it is coming.

Also: I've slightly revised the Hill Giant Chief, since in comparison to the other giant leaders, it's was a bit bland and needed some minor spicing up. I'll update it once I've finished work on at least one of my new giants...
Sounds good!

OK, here are two more hill giant variants! I originally only had one, but the second came to me while creating the first, so you guys get two for the price of one! Presenting the hill giant skirmisher and the hill giant sourbreath! I've got a stone giant variant (and maybe more?) coming as well here soon.

As I said previously, I'm also editing the hill giant chief slightly to make it a bit more interesting.

Hill Giant Skirmisher

For hill giants, their place in the ordning is solely dependent on their gluttony. The more a hill giant eats, the bigger it gets, and, subsequently, the higher its place in the hill giant social hierarchy. But what about those who are born smaller, or those with higher metabolisms? What fate lies in store for a hill giant that, upon maturity, is significantly smaller than its peers? Most such “runts” are kicked out, or flee of their own accord, to live out what will likely be short, unpleasant lives, alone and isolated from other hill giants. A few, however, those a bit more nimble and clever than most of their kind, manage to carve out a special niche within hill giant society – that of the skirmisher.

Unusual Combatants. Those with the misfortune of having hill giants as relatively close neighbors know what to expect in a typical raid – an attack by an undisciplined mob of clumsy and stupid, but physically powerful, giants. There will be little in the way of tactics by their foes; only a mad bum-rush in order to grab as much of what is edible as possible, to drive away any who oppose that objective through sheer brute force, and to then lumber away as quickly as their massive frames will allow (along with any incidental damage or violence that can be gotten away with during that time). But for a few unfortunate settlements, these groups will be accompanied by one or more hill giant skirmishers. These at first may appear to be smaller and less powerful, and therefore less of a threat, but soon after the fighting starts, their true danger is revealed. Although noticeably weaker than most of their type, they are instead far more nimble, and possess a low cunning that make them capable of stratagems unexpected of the normal brutish hill giants.

Unexpected Agility. If one or more skirmishers accompany a group attacking a humanoid settlement, they will often attempt to surprise their foes by launching their rock attacks just before the main attack, often to devastating effect. After this opening barrage, a skirmisher will typically hold back at first during a battle, often waiting until the opposing force is fully committed, and then dash in to catch isolated or vulnerable foes by surprise. This often results in such foes being caught off guard concerning this fresh threat, and skirmishers take full advantage of this, using this distraction to inflict even greater harm to their opponents. Their agility and deceptive speed allows them to break off from one melee and then join another, to wherever their abilities can be used to greatest advantage. And, should the opposing forces be fully occupied by their more brutish comrades, they can instead turn to grabbing as much loot as possible and then rapidly retreating away with it before their foes can adequately respond.

Smaller but Precise Weapons. While most hill giants simply arm themselves with unworked tree limbs and huge, formless rocks, skirmishers instead use slightly more manufactured weapons to take advantage of their natural dexterity. They do not eschew the rocks universally used by their kin, but instead use smaller, better-balanced rocks that can strike vital spots with precision, compared to the sheer brute force of the weapon when thrown by other giants. They also use scavenged pieces of metal to create improvised scimitars; while, again, not quite as damaging as the crude clubs of their kin, they enable the more nimble skirmishers to strike their foes' weak spots with impunity.

Hill Giant Skirmisher
Huge giant (hill giant), chaotic evil

Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 123 (13d12 + 39)
Speed 50 ft.

STR 19 (+4 ) DEX 18 (+4) CON 17 (+3) INT 10 (+0) WIS 11 (+0) CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +10, Stealth +10
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Giant
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Cunning Action. The giant's quick thinking and agility allows it to move and act quickly. The giant can take a bonus action on each of of turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide actions, or to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check.

Sneak Attack. Once per turn, the giant can deal an extra 17 (5d6) damage to one creature it hits with a scimitar or rock attack if it has advantage on the attack roll, or if the target if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and the giant doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Actions

Improvised Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) slashing damage, plus an additional 17 (5d6) damage with a successful sneak attack.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage, plus an additional 17 (5d6) damage with a successful sneak attack.

Hill Giant Sourbreath

The prodigious digestive systems of hill giants are legendary. Hill giants can devour just about anything even remotely edible, in any state, and still gain sustenance and (more importantly) bulk from what they ingested. But there are a few rare hill giants who go beyond even this. Possessed of stomachs which can break down objects that even other hill giants would find indigestible, these individuals are held in awe by others of their kind. While their too-efficient digestion often means that they don't gain the bulk necessary to become chiefs, because of this supposed gift from Grolantor, they still often rank among the leaders of their steadings. And beyond this, their powerful digestive systems often grant them abilities that can be used as weapons against the foes of the tribe.

Distinctive Smell. Any hill giant can immediately discern the approach of one of these super-digesters – the sour, acidic smell that emanates from them. While hill giant steadings are no strangers to peculiar (and often disgusting) odors, this particular one is quite distinct. For as a result of their digestive abilities, their entire bodies have become suffused with acid; and, despite the potential damage that would imply, they are somehow immune to its effects. Their organs and other body parts are not only unaffected by this acidity, but take on its properties as well, most notably their mouths and lungs. This results in their nickname among their cohorts: sourbreaths.

Acidic Breath. From a distance, a sourbreath resembles any other typical hill giant, and, indeed, for the most part, even in battle there is little to discern them from their counterparts, beyond the peculiar smell. However, on occasion, a sourbreath is able, after inhaling deeply, to expel the acid that has been building up in its mouth and lungs and exhale a cloud of acidic breath. For an unsuspecting foe, this can be devastating, eating away at flesh and causing great pain. And since sourbreaths are relatively rare, few enemies are prepared for this – after all, who expects such a surprise from a simple, brutish hill giant?

Hill Giant Sourbreath

Huge giant, chaotic evil

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 138 (12d12 + 60)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 21 (+5) DEX 8 (-1) CON 20 (+5) INT 5 (-3) WIS 9 (-1) CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +2
Damage Resistances Acid
Senses Passive Perception 12
Languages Giant
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two greatclub attacks.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Acidic Breath (1/day). The giant exhales acidic gas in a 10-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Omigosh! I love the Sourbreath Hill Giant! Very thematically appropriate, given how the hill giants are traditionally portrayed in D&D.

Here is the Stone Giant Rock Fist, a stone giant monk-type. I'm also thinking about a frost giant bard-type, but I'll need some work to make it unique from some others I've seen.

Stone Giant Rock Fist

Stone giants pride themselves on their athletic abilities. While most simply participate in periodic competitions, for a few the desire to improve themselves physically becomes an all-encompassing drive for bodily perfection. Combining a rigorous exercise regimen with long periods of deep meditation and contemplation on the inherent strengths of the element of earth, they form a small, loosely-structured organization within stone giant society. Known as rock fists, they eschew any and all melee weapons, relying on their fists alone to defend themselves and to strike their enemies.

Meditation on Earth. Rock fists emulate stone. One would think that being a member of a race known as stone giants, this would be a given, but rock fists take it far beyond others of their type. They often spend hours, or even days, at a time in small, isolated caverns, where they meditate and commune with the very earth itself. Those that attempt this are by no means always ultimately successful – many undertake the path of a rock fist, but only a few, believed to be favored by Skoraeus Stonebones himself, gain the enlightenment necessary to become a rock fist. As their meditations progress, their bodies become ever more stone-like, often taking on a craggy, angular appearance; yet they paradoxically become even more dexterous, able to move in a flowing manner that belies their apparent solidity.

Powerful Unarmed Attackers. Having been granted the power of the earth itself, rock fists refuse to use any melee weapon other than their fists. Having become one with both their bodies and the stone itself through their meditations, they are able to channel the power of earth through their fists, allowing them to strike with powerful, devastating blows. But their affinity for stone does not mean they are slow and ponderous, however. Their natural athleticism as stone giants, combined with their complete awareness and control of their own bodies make rock fists surprisingly quick and agile. Many foes have, at first glance, thought they must be lumbering, sluggish creatures, only to find, to their dismay, that the rock fists can nimbly dodge their blows, and follow up with sudden, devastating ripostes with their fists.

Fraternity of Stone. Rock fists hold a unique position in stone giant society. Although they are part of that society, intermingling with their fellow stone giants when not meditating, they are also separate from it due to their singular abilities. Many smaller stone giant settlements will have at most one rock fist, who will live among the others, if slightly off to one side to gain at least some isolation for his or her meditations. In larger settlements, however, a separate cavern or cavern complex is often assigned solely to the stone fists, who use it as living quarters, gathering place, and an area to meditate together.

Stone Giant Rock Fist
Huge giant (stone giant), lawful neutral

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Speed 55 ft.

STR 23 (+6) DEX 16 (+3) CON 20 (+5) INT 10 (+0) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 9 (-1)

Saving Throws DEX +7, CON +9, WIS +6
Skills Athletics +13, Perception +6
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 16
Languages Giant, Terran
Challenge 9 (2,900 XP)

Flurry of Blows (3/day). Immediately after the giant takes the Attack action on its turn, it can make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action. Whenever the giant hits a creature with one of the attacks granted by its Flurry of Blows, it can impose one of the following effects on that target:

It must succeed on a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.
It must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw. If it fails, the giant can push it up to 15 feet away from it.
It can’t take reactions until the end of the giant's next turn.

Patient Defense (2/day). The giant can take the Dodge action as a bonus action on its turn

Stunning Strike (1/day). When the giant hits another creature with a melee weapon attack, it can attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.

Stone Camouflage. The giant has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in rocky terrain.

Actions

Multiattack. The giant makes two unarmed strike attacks.

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Reactions

Rock Catching. If a rock or similar object is hurled at the giant, the giant can, with a successful DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, catch the missile and take no bludgeoning damage from it.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Here is the Stone Giant Rock Fist, a stone giant monk-type. I'm also thinking about a frost giant bard-type, but I'll need some work to make it unique from some others I've seen.

Stone Giant Rock Fist

Stone giants pride themselves on their athletic abilities. While most simply participate in periodic competitions, for a few the desire to improve themselves physically becomes an all-encompassing drive for bodily perfection. Combining a rigorous exercise regimen with long periods of deep meditation and contemplation on the inherent strengths of the element of earth, they form a small, loosely-structured organization within stone giant society. Known as rock fists, they eschew any and all melee weapons, relying on their fists alone to defend themselves and to strike their enemies.

Meditation on Earth. Rock fists emulate stone. One would think that being a member of a race known as stone giants, this would be a given, but rock fists take it far beyond others of their type. They often spend hours, or even days, at a time in small, isolated caverns, where they meditate and commune with the very earth itself. Those that attempt this are by no means always ultimately successful – many undertake the path of a rock fist, but only a few, believed to be favored by Skoraeus Stonebones himself, gain the enlightenment necessary to become a rock fist. As their meditations progress, their bodies become ever more stone-like, often taking on a craggy, angular appearance; yet they paradoxically become even more dexterous, able to move in a flowing manner that belies their apparent solidity.

Powerful Unarmed Attackers. Having been granted the power of the earth itself, rock fists refuse to use any melee weapon other than their fists. Having become one with both their bodies and the stone itself through their meditations, they are able to channel the power of earth through their fists, allowing them to strike with powerful, devastating blows. But their affinity for stone does not mean they are slow and ponderous, however. Their natural athleticism as stone giants, combined with their complete awareness and control of their own bodies make rock fists surprisingly quick and agile. Many foes have, at first glance, thought they must be lumbering, sluggish creatures, only to find, to their dismay, that the rock fists can nimbly dodge their blows, and follow up with sudden, devastating ripostes with their fists.

Fraternity of Stone. Rock fists hold a unique position in stone giant society. Although they are part of that society, intermingling with their fellow stone giants when not meditating, they are also separate from it due to their singular abilities. Many smaller stone giant settlements will have at most one rock fist, who will live among the others, if slightly off to one side to gain at least some isolation for his or her meditations. In larger settlements, however, a separate cavern or cavern complex is often assigned solely to the stone fists, who use it as living quarters, gathering place, and an area to meditate together.

Stone Giant Rock Fist

Speed 55 ft.

Languages Giant, Terran
Challenge 9 (2,900 XP)

Flurry of Blows (3/day). Immediately after the giant takes the Attack action on its turn, it can make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action. Whenever the giant hits a creature with one of the attacks granted by its Flurry of Blows, it can impose one of the following effects on that target:

It must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw. If it fails, the giant can push it up to 15 feet away from it.

Patient Defense (2/day). The giant can take the Dodge action as a bonus action on its turn

Stunning Strike (1/day). When the giant hits another creature with a melee weapon attack, it can attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.

Stone Camouflage. The giant has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in rocky terrain.

Actions

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Reactions

Rock Catching. If a rock or similar object is hurled at the giant, the giant can, with a successful DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, catch the missile and take no bludgeoning damage from it.
Stone giants seem perfect for a monk overlay. Can't believe I never thought of that. Nice work and thank you for sharing!

Amratat

Villager

Stone Giant Rock Fist

Stone Giant Rock Fist

Speed 55 ft.

Languages Giant, Terran
Challenge 9 (2,900 XP)

Actions

Reactions

I love the idea of a monk stone giant, but I wonder: would they, flavour-wise, be better as dancers?

The Stone Giant Ordning is built around art, and meditating for years doesn't seem to further that. Stone Giants who study movement and dance would still be rare, as it is such an impermanent art form, but would also fit a rapid, unarmed fighting style better, at least in my opinion. Just because they fight like a monk, doesn't mean they have to meditate all the time.

Just my thoughts, I do love these elites!!

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I love the idea of a monk stone giant, but I wonder: would they, flavour-wise, be better as dancers?

The Stone Giant Ordning is built around art, and meditating for years doesn't seem to further that. Stone Giants who study movement and dance would still be rare, as it is such an impermanent art form, but would also fit a rapid, unarmed fighting style better, at least in my opinion. Just because they fight like a monk, doesn't mean they have to meditate all the time.

Just my thoughts, I do love these elites!!

Believe it or not, in D&D lore, dancing as a form of art is more commonly associated with fire giants.

The more I think on it, a hill giant rogue, while interesting for its sheer counter-intuitiveness, just isn't the best giant type to give a rogue overlay too - cloud giants are. And, with their fog cloud and misty step, they easily can gain advantage for sneak attacks. So I'm thinking on creating a cloud giant rogue-type to go along with my planned frost giant skald/bard. Granted, the Cloud Giant Smiling One from Volo's kind of already inhabits that space, but it's a weird mis-mash of rogue, bard, and druid, so I'm going to work on a more purely rogue-ish one. I'm not going to remove the Hill Giant Skirmisher, though.

And any ideas for another fire giant variant? They're getting a bit left behind compared to the others!

Remove ads