D&D 5E Homebrewing the Battlemaster and Champion

NotAYakk

Legend
Two-Weapon Fighting
* The other "extra damage" scale in fundamental ways with # of attacks.

This ... doesn't.

What I did was merge Dueling, Thrown and TWF into one style:

When you make an attack with a melee or thrown weapon in one hand, you add +2 damage. You can draw a weapon as part of the action of making an attack with it.

+2 per tap is better than +attribute for TWF before you have +4 attribute (which is level 1 to 3 at least).

By level 5, +2 per tap beats +5 to attribute. Only at level 4 can you possibly fall behind.

I then folded "attribute bonus to damage" into an improved dual wielder feat, mainly because I like the idea of the PC not caring which weapon hits when attacking with paired weapons.

Stalker0

Legend
On Icon of War, I would just say "once they save they are immune" and be done with it. That's how most fear auras work, and its already a very good ability on top of the big extra attack (and +1 extra to basically everything)...I really don't think they need more.

I can do this all day. It feels like we are stepping on the toes of the barbarian here. You have already given the fighter a nice increase in survivability due to the second wind increase, I think this is overkill. The "keeping fighting even when brought to near death" is the barbarian's schtick.

What I did was merge Dueling, Thrown and TWF into one style:

When you make an attack with a melee or thrown weapon in one hand, you add +2 damage. You can draw a weapon as part of the action of making an attack with it.
I did something similar but I did my merging a little differently.

Merged TWF, Dueling, and Great Weapon Fighting into:

Offense: Gain +2 damage on all melee attacks, +3 if the weapon is heavy or versatile and used in two hands.

NotAYakk

Legend
On Icon of War, I would just say "once they save they are immune" and be done with it. That's how most fear auras work, and its already a very good ability on top of the big extra attack (and +1 extra to basically everything)...I really don't think they need more.

I can do this all day. It feels like we are stepping on the toes of the barbarian here. You have already given the fighter a nice increase in survivability due to the second wind increase, I think this is overkill. The "keeping fighting even when brought to near death" is the barbarian's schtick.

I did something similar but I did my merging a little differently.

Merged TWF, Dueling, and Great Weapon Fighting into:

Offense: Gain +2 damage on all melee attacks, +3 if the weapon is heavy or versatile and used in two hands.
Not bad.

My GWF does "if you roll an even number, add 1/2 of the max value of the die". I also permit you to use it with any versatile or two handed weapon wielded in both hands.

1dX gains X/4 additional damage. So it adds 1/4 of the max damage your attack can do, on average.

2d6 gets +3 on average, 1d12 gets +3 on average, 1d10 gets +2.5 on average, 1d8 gets +2 on average.

It scales with crits, and it keeps some of the difference between 2d6 and 1d12 (2d6 is more reliable with 0.5 extra damage on average, and 1d12 is swingier).

Chaosmancer

Legend

Potentially, but this is a fear aura at level 20. A lot of things are immune, a lot of things have great wisdom saves. Sure, this keeps the mooks from charging you, but I liked the idea of potentially slowly demoralizing the Boss because you are killing those minions one after the other.

Still, you might be right.

Yeah. I loved the suggestion from... crap I forgot who suggested it. But once I saw both features combined I started thinking it was far too much.

Remove ads