D&D 5E How about 5d20?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
IIRC, "d20" is trademarked by WotC for use to denote system of RPG.

I don't know if "5d20" would be considered infringing on that trademark. Unless that was clear, I don't know that publishers would adopt the term officially.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I still think it's a good idea overall... but I also have no illusions of anything actually sticking. Not unless some company with widespread reach across the gaming populace (say Kobold Press) comes up with something and uses the term frequently enough that it starts getting references by people. But any term just one of us random schmoes throws up here on EN World? Heh heh. Well, I suppose stranger things have happened, but I'm not going to hold my breath. :)

IIRC, "d20" is trademarked by WotC for use to denote system of RPG.

I don't know if "5d20" would be considered infringing on that trademark. Unless that was clear, I don't know that publishers would adopt the term officially.
good point - I didn't think about that! Any suggestions?

Incorporating a 5 in the name pretty much defeats the presumed purpose of a new term, putting some distance between D&D and games that utilize the 5.X SRD. Especially since the D&D trademark holders insist the 2024 revision is still 5E.

Incorporating a 5 in the name pretty much defeats the presumed purpose of a new term, putting some distance between D&D and games that utilize the 5.X SRD. Especially since the D&D trademark holders insist the 2024 revision is still 5E.
How so - the point is to specifically associate it with the 5.X SRD. That is the purpose of the new term.

Remove ads