D&D 5E How did you handle the Aarakocra?

How did you handle the Aarakocra?

• I banned it.

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • I nerfed or otherwise downgraded it.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I allowed it just as it is.

Votes: 88 66.7%
  • I did something else (please explain).

Votes: 7 5.3%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
11 herbs and spices and deep fried.

Yeah, I know. Tired joke. Had to make it just the same.

I limited races in my current home-brew campaign for "thematic" reasons (read "I was new to DMing and wanted to keep things simple for the first few levels").

I would be more willing to allow them now, but it would be hard in my current campaign. In much of the world the character would be in constant danger as beast people have been wiped out from most lands. Don't want to bore folks with home-brew lore, but it would suck to be a bird person in my campaign.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I voted that I allowed it just as it is, and this is mostly true. The only caveat being that I have a standing DM ruling that any creature (monsters included) must be able to fully spread its wings if it wants to use its winged flight ability. I consider that common sense and not a rule change.

I have no problem with Aarakocra from a mechanical standpoint or a setting standpoint (most of the details of my settings follow 2e, so later additions are iffy, but AD&D stuff is fine). Depending on the campaign, I tend to only allow one exotic or monstrous character per party--and I determine that based on AD&D sensibilities. So yes, drow are exotic, as are orcs, goblins, etc, and anything with animalistic features is monstrous. So if that were the party's one oddball, it would be fine unless there were campaign specific thematic reasons for it not to fit.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I voted that I allowed it just as it is, and this is mostly true. The only caveat being that I have a standing DM ruling that any creature (monsters included) must be able to fully spread its wings if it wants to use its winged flight ability. I consider that common sense and not a rule change.

Is there an official wingspan?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Had someone asked, I would have allowed it in my group as is. Much the same as MechaPilot, I'd have restricted areas where it could fly based on the amount of space available. Not sure exactly what I would have considered large enough but the 15 foot wide sounds like a good approach. Could even add in narrow points where an acrobatics check is needed to skim through it and on to the other side.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Had someone asked, I would have allowed it in my group as is. Much the same as MechaPilot, I'd have restricted areas where it could fly based on the amount of space available. Not sure exactly what I would have considered large enough but the 15 foot wide sounds like a good approach. Could even add in narrow points where an acrobatics check is needed to skim through it and on to the other side.

Right, even hawks can fly through pretty small holes.
https://youtu.be/2CFckjfP-1E
I would assume a dextrous aarakocra could fly through a door or even window.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
5e created the Aarkocra PC before seemingly changing the ABS reduction that Volo's included with kobolds & orcs.
For an upcoming campaign, the PC aarakocra would match the MM more closely:
- reduce STR & CON by 1
- add Dive Attack (dives at least 30' straight, adds 1d6 to melee hit)
- allow the all-aarakocra party of 5 to summon an air elemental (ritual, 1 hr, regain on short or long rest)

Mine is going to be a Circle of the moon Druid so he can fly into grizzly at level 2.

------------
Question:
Does a thorn whip form in your hand or come out of the ground?
If an aarakocra 30' up in the air thorn whips a creature from his hand, does the victim get pulled 10' up in the air?
It's an instantaneous cantrip so almost immediately the whip disappears; does the victim fall 10' and take falling damage?

"You create a long, vine-like whip covered in thorns that lashes out at your command toward a creature in range. Make a melee spell attack against the target. If the attack hits, the creature takes 1d6 piercing damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, you pull the creature up to 10 feet closer to you."

Last edited:

Slight pivot here but I am currently in a fun campaign where my friend is an Aarakocra Monk. He is enjoying it but still feels under-powered compared to other characters. Wondering if anyone has some cool ideas or tips for him to try in combat - both to be more effective but also to add color to his character. I have only a couple:

- Petition GM to allow him to have a Dive attack (mentioned elsewhere in the forums as something the Aarakocra as a monster has - add 1d6 to each attack. Must come from 30' above.
- grab enemies and drop them?
- grab boulders and drop them on enemies

Remove ads