"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?"

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

"I'm running a campaign for a lot of first-timers, and I'm dealing with a lot of first-timer problems (the one who never speaks up, the one who needs to be railroaded, the NG character being played CN and the CN character being played CE). Lately, however, there's a new situation I'm dealing with. A third of my group first got interested in D&D because of Critical Role. I like Matt Mercer as much as the next guy, but these guys watched 30+ hours of the show before they ever picked up a D20. The Dwarf thinks that all Dwarves have Irish accents, and the Dragonborn sounds exactly like the one from the show (which is fine, until they meet NPCs that are played differently from how it's done on the show). I've been approached by half the group and asked how I planned to handle resurrection. When I told them I'd decide when we got there, they told me how Matt does it. Our WhatsApp is filled with Geek and Sundry videos about how to play RPG's better. There's nothing wrong with how they do it on the show, but I'm not Matt Mercer and they're not Vox Machina. At some point, the unrealistic expectations are going to clash with reality. How do you guys deal with players who've had past DM's they swear by?

TL;DR Critical Role has become the prototype for how my players think D&D works. How do I push my own way of doing things without letting them down?"

Critical-Role-Matt-Mercer.jpg

Here was the reply from Matthew Mercer:

"Seeing stuff like this kinda breaks my heart. Regardless, the fact of the matter is our style of play is just that...our style of play. Every table is different, and should be! If they just want to “copy” what we do, that’s not very creative nor what makes the game magic at the table.

I DO believe that it’s important for any gaming group to discuss expectations early into a campaign so everyone can get on the same page and avoid dissonance. However, it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility at the table to provide and add to the experience for everyone to enjoy themselves and the story, not just the DM. As I saw some comments below mention, you want a particular style of game? That level of commitments rests on YOUR shoulders. Consolidate your style and wishes with those of the other players and DM, and somewhere in that unique mix you will find your table’s special style of storytelling.

Need I also remind your players that we are a table of professional actors, and I have been DMing for well over 20 years. We have spent our lives training in particular skills that allow us to get as immersed in the characters as we enjoy doing. Anyone can jump in as deeply, should they wish to, but EXPECTING that immediate level of comfort and interest is unfair and absurd. Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path. ;)

PLUS, our style isn’t for everyone! Hell, just scan the comments below to see how many folks don’t like us, haha. I’ve played with many different players, ran games of many different styles and focuses, and I can tell you... there is so much fun variety to how a TTRPG can be played, they’re limiting their chances to enjoy it by trying to “play it just like us”.

Anyway, I say the best course is have a very frank conversation with them about these things. Clearly say that your game will feel like YOUR game (meaning you and the players together), and it’s THEIR responsibility to bring to the table what facet they want to see in it. Show them this post, if it helps. In fact, show them this message:

“Guys. Relax. Your DM is kicking ass, and is doing this for YOUR enjoyment and journey. Appreciate that, listen, build with them, and make this something UNIQUE. Abandon expectations and just have fun together as friends.”

Anyway, so sorry. Things like this are never my intent. It’s a weird, wild west these days. Your gonna be great, friend.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I don't think it's unreasonable for new players to think that D&D is just like the example they've seen, but I would think that viewpoint would diminish after a few games.
I think it's quite foolish to think that D&D is just like on TV/YouTube, it's also foolish to think that playing sports yourself is at the same level as what you see on TV/YouTube. What about reality/dating shows, is it not foolish to think that those portray real life?

The type of player who has irked me the most when I DM is the one who thinks it is my job to entertain them.
Isn't it? It's your job as the DM to entertain the players, just like it's the players job to entertain the DM and the other players. On a show like Matt Mercer runs, the object is to entertain the audience...

Maybe grow thicker skin, and be open to improving.
You learn by doing it yourself and not being forced to ape someone else. I've certainly learned from other DMs and have acknowledged my betters in that regard, but Matt Mercer and his troupe are actors first and RPGers second, everything is a scene and anything that is problematic is handled off-screen. And imho DMing is more about knowing/understanding the people you play with and less with formulaic solutions to DMing. I've played with folks I don't know very well, and depending on de DM quality, have enjoyed myself, but part of the experience is the new people you interact with. On the other hand I've enjoyed RPGs more with the people I do know and have known for a long time, even though those have often been the source of the most frustration...

Also, a lot of the people that (used to) play D&D were nerds that didn't have much confidence to begin with, getting compared to a known personality in a negative way isn't the best way to get more confidence at DMing...

But everything would be better if Matt looks into the camera mid-show to explain that the show is NOT an instructional video on how to play the game, but for entertainment purposes only (and maybe inspiration)?
No. People should realize that this entertainment for nerds and is 'tailored' for them, just like any other reality show on TV or YouTube.

Now let me be brutally honest, a lot of the Critical Roll stuff comes across as so darned fake (to me), it often feels like a badly dubbed anime. Which is not surprising as many provided the voices of previously mentioned badly dubbed anime... Also, some of the people in those YouTube series come across (to me) as being there more to attract new followers then for anything else... For example, I can watch Day9 streams/YouTube for quite a while (while playing something else), I just looked at Day9 with another (well known) actress playing Magic and that felt a tad painful, forced even... So yes, I'm a bit negatively predisposed toward most of the RPG streaming/YouTube crowd, as I've not found one I consistently find 'good'.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I can see the enjoyment in watching people who have done voice work on animated shows you've watched or video games that you've played. But, after looking at the voice work of the primary Critical Role cast and the hundreds of projects they've been in, the only thing I've heard is Liam O'Brien as an uncredited alien in X-Com 2 and as the voice of a few characters in WoW: Burning Crusade.
You’re probably not a fan of anime, are you? All of them do a ton of anime work. Laura is Lust in Fulmetal Alchemist and Travis is Mustang. Sam is Mephisto in Blue Exorcist. Most of them do western animation too though. I imagine you’ve probably heard of Adventure Time, given that it’s creator was a consultant on Tomb of Annihilation. Laura is Princess Bubblegum.And Liam is the only one who’s video game work you recognized? Matt is in like everything. You must have at least heard “It’s High Noon” even if you’ve never played Overwatch. Matt is the guy who says that. Ashley is Ellie in The Last of Us, which I find hard to believe anyone who plays video games wouldn’t have heard of. Laura is Marry Jane in Spider Man, Nadine in Uncharted, Kiat in Gears of War, Lucina in Smash Ultimate... Liam also does like... most of the unnamed men in Rapture in Burial at Sea. Admittedly Talisen isn’t as prolific as the rest of the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
Everybody knows that Dwarves have Russian accents. Celtic accents are just wrong.

Actually, the dwarves in my homebrew setting do have Russian accents. I took all the languages from my setting and decided what real-world languages they sound like. One, it helps the players imagine it better on those times when I screw up the accent. Two, it makes it so much easier to come up with names, because you can just Google Russian baby names to find a huge list of potential names for your prospective dwarf character (or NPC).

That just amazes me. In fact, the whole Critical Role as Cultural Tsunami thing amazes me. I kept seeing/hearing references to it and finally watched, or tried to watch. I got through maybe 5 minutes before I was bored out of my mind. Watching other people play D&D? There are at least 13,762 things I'd rather be doing, and trimming my toenails is one of them.

And I'm already a gamer.

I can't imagine a non-player finding it interesting in any way. And yet, somehow, they do.

What a strange, strange world.
On paper it's odd. But no one bats an eye about watching other people play football or golf. This isn't much different, save the addition of a plot.

I'm a gamer too, but I love Critical Role. And I'm also catching up on Dice, Camera, Action on the D&D Twitch channel.

Yeah, I'd rather be gaming myself. And I do. A lot. I DM a D&D game every other week and play in a semi-weekly Star Trek game. But that leaves 11.5 days every two weeks where I'm largely not engaging with the hobby apart from message boards or session prep.
Critical Role scratches that itch. It lets me celebrate a lucky critical or bemoan a "1", allows me to laugh at a running gag or excellent bit of RPing, and generally permits me to get some D&D on in the long, long stretches where I cannot game myself. It's the next best thing to rolling dice myself.

For me it also became good background listening. Something I put on when painting minis, because I just needed to hear it. (And I have sooooo very many Reaper Bones to paint.)
I also often listen while at the gym. Because just running on the treadmill be boring.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Side note I would love to see Matt run other games. D&D is fun and all but it'd be cool to see him bring his style of DMing to something like vtm or shadowrun 4e

This so much. His influence has become so incredibly huge now that it would be a great thing if all his fans and the rpg industry saw him GM a different game. Something very not D&D, that uses a different genre as well.

Side note I would love to see Matt run other games. D&D is fun and all but it'd be cool to see him bring his style of DMing to something like vtm or shadowrun 4e

I'd like to see him run Savage Worlds. That's very rules light, extremely pulpy, and very fast paced. Frankly, I think it fits their game style better.

guachi

Hero
You’re probably not a fan of anime, are you? All of them do a ton of anime work. Laura is Lust in Fulmetal Alchemist and Travis is Mustang. Sam is Mephisto in Blue Exorcist. Most of them do western animation too though. I imagine you’ve probably heard of Adventure Time, given that it’s creator was a consultant on Tomb of Annihilation. Laura is Princess Bubblegum.And Liam is the only one who’s video game work you recognized? Matt is in like everything. You must have at least heard “It’s High Noon” even if you’ve never played Overwatch. Matt is the guy who says that. Ashley is Ellie in The Last of Us, which I find hard to believe anyone who plays video games wouldn’t have heard of. Laura is Marry Jane in Spider Man, Nadine in Uncharted, Kiat in Gears of War, Lucina in Smash Ultimate... Liam also does like... most of the unnamed men in Rapture in Burial at Sea. Admittedly Talisen isn’t as prolific as the rest of the cast.

My knowledge of anime basically ceased when I left college in 1998 or so.
I've heard of Full Metal Alchemist but seen none of it.
I know nothing about Blue Exorcist.
I've heard of Adventure Time but never seen an episode.
I've heard of Overwatch but never played it and never heard "It's High Noon".
I know nothing about Last of Us.
I don't know which Spider-Man game you are referring to, but I've played none of them.
I know nothing about Uncharted.
I, however, have heard of Gears of War.
I know nothing about Smash Ultimate.
I don't know what Rapture in Burial at Sea is. Is it a game? A movie?

I couldn't actually pick out Liam's voice but I own X-Com 2 and Burning Crusade and I know my characters have talked to at least one of the characters he voices in Burning Crusade. So I must have heard his voice at least once.

I own a PS4 because I won it at my work Holiday Party last year. The only games I own are Lego games my wife plays. I've never played it. The video games I play are all PC games and none are FPS games. Most are strategy type games where voice work doesn't really matter and a few are CRPGs but none of the Critical Role people did any voice work for what I own except Liam for Burning Crusade a dozen years ago.

It's really easy to miss entire genres when they don't interest you.

This so much. His influence has become so incredibly huge now that it would be a great thing if all his fans and the rpg industry saw him GM a different game. Something very not D&D, that uses a different genre as well.
Between the campaigns they ran some one and two shot games, including Vampire. But those were mostly DMed by others.

But I imagine other systems would come at the expense of CR episodes, and they’re not going to delay the show needlessly. And he’s a busy guy and not able to do a second show.

I can see the enjoyment in watching people who have done voice work on animated shows you've watched or video games that you've played. But, after looking at the voice work of the primary Critical Role cast and the hundreds of projects they've been in, the only thing I've heard is Liam O'Brien as an uncredited alien in X-Com 2 and as the voice of a few characters in WoW: Burning Crusade.

I've actually seen Ashley Johnson in live action shows and think she's so beautiful I'd watch a video of her reading a book. But that's not really enough reason to watch a D&D streaming show.
It’s less about seeing people you know playing D&D. And more to do with the synergy between vocal acting and D&D.

So much of how a character is presented in a game comes from their “voice” and how are they act and sound, their word choices and volume. Even a skilled actor can’t deliver that as well, as they rely so much more on physicality.
As voice actors, they’re trained in maintaining an accent and delivering emotion in their words. Which really works so well with roleplaying. The game basically becomes an improv radio play.

Remove ads

Remove ads