• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How do players feel about DM fudging?

How do you, as a player, feel about DM fudging?

• Very positive. Fudging is good.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Positive. Fudging is acceptable.

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Neutral. Fudging sure is a thing.

Votes: 54 29.5%
  • Negative. Fudging is dubious.

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • Very negative. Fudging is bad.

Votes: 49 26.8%

• Poll closed .

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
But of course, with ppl now commissioning character art, buying character-specific sets of dice, and even cosplaying their character, there's a considerable cost sunken into it. I think some of that stuff borders on the obsessive...
Now? People were doing that back in the 1980s too.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The section literally says, "This section gives recommendations for table rules you can establish to help meet that goal." They are recommending fudging as a table rule. That's an endorsement!
You keep referring to this awful advice in the 5e DMG like it's something we should actually listen to.

Well, sorry: just because something's written in the DMG doesn't make it right. Designers, writers, editors - they're all quite capable of mistakes; and have made one here.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You were the one talking about having a run of bad luck “ruining someone’s evening”. Two of my players have abysmal luck with dice. It doesn’t ruin their evening: sometimes they laugh it off, poor dice doesn’t prevent them from contributing in a “role-playing game”, and when their luck changes, the entire table cheers them.
Reminds me of a quote about a player from a long-ago game I was in:

"Dave's dice are like a parasite. They kill their host."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Vive la différence.​

This is, ultimately, part of the point of the Colville video that sparked all of these fudging threads. People play differently - some laugh off bad luck as you say, some don't want to play that way. Surely, the latter aren't playing incorrectly, are they?
IMO there's certainly something amiss if those same players who won't accept a run of bad luck will gleefully accept a run of good luck. It does not reflect well on them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads