D&D 5E How do the races breed?

Lanliss

Explorer
This will be a fun one for biology nuts, or for those who have a deep knowledge of the lore. Assuming all of the races can interbreed, what traits carry over? Dragon born/human children will likely be less scaly than the dragonborn, and Dwarf/Gnome will probably be a tall, broad gnome(or a short, slightly less broad Dwarf).

What if a gnome has a Tiefling mother and an Aasimar Grandfather, with a Pure gnome father? A pygmy albino tiefling, with pure white horns?

What traits are normally dominant in humans, and how do you think that translates to the races in D&D?

What about stats? Will the pygmy albino Tiefling have high charisma and intelligence? How various stat changes carry between the races will be important for my question.

I plan to have races able to breed between each other, and will probably have a large number of half x/half y persons, in my campaign world, so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

MG.0

First Post
I'm not sure anyone can give you anything more than speculation once you go beyond the documented elf plus human = half elf, orc plus human = half orc. I doubt biology would offer much help either, since none of these things exist except for humans.

I'd just use your imagination and have fun. While I generally am inclined to disallow a lot of mixes in my games as I feel there's enough weird variety already without making it weirder, there are some interesting possibilities. Imagine a half gnome, half hill-giant who has the stature of a very large human who self-identifies as a gnome. Funny stuff.

Mechanically I'd let the players pick a race and then pick a subrace from any of the available races. That allows some mingling of traits. But it could be broken as eff. I haven't looked.

Other than that, you'd pretty much need to rework all the races from scratch. So... whatever you want really.

Lanliss

Explorer
I don't plan on having a lot of flavor text like there is for the Half-orc and half-elf, because there won't be anyone looking at a halfbreed funny when everyone is a halfbreed. I was hoping for help from biology because your DNA decides what kind of skeletal structure you have, or hair color and things like that. I may just have to wing it on the "Dominant/submissive gene" choices. Could still use help on stats though.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I tend to assume the races can't interbreed except for half-elves and half-orcs. Though I imagine elves and orcs may be able to as well. Dragonborn lay eggs, I believe, so there will be no interbreeding there.

n00b f00

First Post
I imagine most things can interbreed. Humans can have orc, ogre, demon, angel, and elf baby mamas. Why not hobgoblins, bugbears, giants, gnomes, dwarves et all?

I imagine some combos one parent is dominant, sometimes one breeds true. I imagine that tieflings breed true. I think book of erotic fantasies has charts.

Dragonborn lay eggs, when they hatch they nurse. But if you wanna do half dragonborn, I would look to dragonblooded sorcerers for inspiration. They are whatever race with a few patches of thin scales.

Mechanically in general I'd just let them pick one race and reskin or homebrew if it was non satisfactory.

Awesome Adam

First Post
There was an Encyclopedia Arcane by Mongoose publishing for D&D 3E that covered Crossbreeding in detail. I'm sure it's technique could be adapted to 5E.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1806/Encyclopaedia-Arcane-Crossbreeding?it=1 $3.99

There is a review, that covers some of the material
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9226.phtml
Essentially, this d20 book explains how characters can create magical hybrids such as the owlbear. It first covers they whys and hows of magical crossbreeding, then presents the game mechanics for designing the creature, and describes various rituals and magic items used in the process. Finally, there is a collection of sample hybrids.
The cover is a neat illustration of a chimera breaking free from its cage. The art is generally quite good, although sometimes a little comic-bookish. The book itself is a 64-page durable softcover. The fonts are nothing special.

I. Magical Crossbreeding

In the Introduction, the book touches on such topics as, "Why would someone create a magical crossbreed?", certainly a good question. It discusses the difference between polymorphing and permanent transmutation. Magical crossbreeding is essentially a form of magical Transmutation, and can only be performed by wizards.

II. Designing Magical Crossbreeds

The design is a multistage process. First, the creature is described. What result are we trying to achieve? A turtle with wings? An owlbear? The designer is given essentially carte blanche to describe the combination how he wishes. This is the last time in the process they are given such freedom. Ability scores and size are determined by averaging. The next step, an important one, is determining the creature type (humanoid, ooze, outsider, etc.). The statistics block is then filled out. Finally, the personality is determined by the GM and the designer gives the creature a name.

The basic idea is that a crossbreeding will create the simplest creature possible without intentional design. Ability scores and size will be an average, and the hybrid will possess only those traits possessed by both progenitors (as the book calls the creatures used to create the crossbreeding). Those results can be modified according to the creator's whims. Ability scores can be bumped or shuffled. To "bump" an ability score is to give it the larger value of the two creatures. To "shuffle" is to move points from one ability score to another; traits may be lowered, but they may not be raised above the larger value of the two creatures. While the two methods cannot be combined on one ability score, there is some potential for abuse when multistage crossbreeding is performed. However, the ideal creature still possesses only the highest ability score of each progenitor. The Hit Dice naturally average, but can be raised up to the higher value by increasing the complexity of the creature. Some traits, such as speed and natural Armour Class, are assigned using common sense. For instance, the creature's movement rate is usually that of the creature whose overall shape it takes. In the case of the owlbear, it is set not quite in the middle between the ground rates for an owl and a bear. Alignment will be a blend. Obviously, these kind of determinations involve some give and take between GM and player (if a player character is performing the crossbreeding). While I understand the difficulty in making such determinations, more extensive guidelines would have helped. For instance, if I merge a Lawful Evil devil with a Chaotic Good elf, I might decide the result I'm looking for is Neutral Evil. But is that alignment an essential trait, like a devil's, or just a description, like a mortal creature's? Special qualities and special attacks can be given to the creature by increasing the complexity of the crossbreeding. Familiars can be used, creating upgraded familiars.

My biggest criticism of this section is the determination of creature type. The book provides a written description of what crossed with what gives you what, and why. It also provides a handy chart describing every possible combination. That's very thoughtful of them. However, this seems like one area where GM discretion should be invoked, and in addition to the chart I would have liked more discussion. While an Animal (rat) crossed with a Humanoid (goblin) would logically yield a Monstrous Humanoid, I can see situations where this would not be true. For instance, a rat-headed goblin is pretty monstrous, but is it all that different from many other humanoids such as kobolds and gnolls? On the other hand, a rat with goblin intelligence but otherwise very much a rat seems more like a sort of Beast. Practically anything crossed with an Outsider yields another Outsider, but what are the logical limits? Is a creature with 1/8 Outsider heritage really an Outsider? Is it impossible to creature a Dragon no matter how much dragon blood is mixed with dinosaur? The section on Shapeshifts states that a Shapeshifter crossed with anything usually yields a Shapeshifter, but if the crossbreeding has no ability to change shape, what creature type does it produce? The book offers no suggestions.

Another issue is morphology. The book happily suggests how to create a centaur or a chimera from basic creatures. On the other hand, combining two humanoids yields a humanoid. If I can create a three-headed chimera by combining goat, lion, and dragon, though, what's to stop me from combining elf and human to produce a two-headed humanoid (monstrous humanoid, I would imagine)? Why, logically, can I not combine two horses and get a horse with eight legs? The book never touches this issue, although it has no problem creating a centaur-like worgoblin that fuses the torso of a goblin with the headless body of a worg. This is an area of neglect.

III. The Process

The Transmutation Rituals section presents a variety of methods for actually combining the creatures, everything from a Primordial Ooze method involving cauldrons to a neat method involving mirrors to something silly involving slamming two magical spheres together. Each particular method carries certain prerequisites, but there is no basic prerequisite to experiment in this method, apart from the ability to use Transmutation spells as a wizard. In most cases, the methods are available even to very low-level characters. For some reason, one of the methods, involving a soul-sucking dagger, is labeled as evil, but any magical crossbreeding would seem to be unethical when performed on the unwilling. The book never addresses the concerns of alignment and magical experimentation on living subjects.

The process itself is handled as a caster check. Low-level characters face startling expenses and high DC's, keeping this activity mainly in the hands of mid to high-level characters. Creating a hybrid is monetarily comparable to creating a permanent magical item. The DC starts at 20, and goes up according to how difficult the progenitors are to combine by type, their relative sizes, and preparation and practice. While I agree with the designer that a Wizard gains little from a hypothetical Magical Crossbreeding skill, I would have liked a process that did not imply magical crossbreeding was everyday business for a wizard. Magical crossbreeding requires no special Feat, and no skill ranks beyond those required to execute the chosen ritual.

Failure by a little is not total failure. Failure by up to 5 points results in an imperfect creature. The book provides two charts, Physical Abnormalities and Hybrid Defects, as suggestions as to what actually went wrong. While they cover the bases, the charts seem to lack a certain flavor. In magic, it seems that mishaps ought to occasionally result in unpredictable traits, not just a trait from the wrong progenitor or a lowered ability score. The only "wild" result is a coloration that matches neither progenitor. The GM is free to describe the Frankenstein results as they please, of course. But is the percentile chart such a lost art? I would have liked to see a chart with changed morphologies, unexpected special attacks or weaknesses, or radical changes in size. A failure by exactly five results in a non-viable horror that attacks the creator for a few rounds before dissolving into goo. A natural 1 is always a failure, but we are never told what level of failure.

The method for combining yourself with a creature is also described. Tricky, but the potential for raw power is great (and probably disquieting to many GM's). We also learn how to reverse a botched crossbreeding.

The Magic Items section covers everything from specialized IOUN stones to the Stasis Rug (very handy) to magic items particular to certain rituals. There aren't very many, but they cover the bases.

IV. Sample Hybrids

Surprisingly, this turned out to be one of the best parts of the book. You have the obvious hybrids, like the Plesiogigan, a melding of storm giant and elasmosaurus that yields a huge mer-creature, or the Gorgotaur, a mix of gorgon and minotaur. Then you have the thought-provoking, like the Worgoblin (goblin and worg centauroid) and the Rhinohorse. Finally, you have the just plain weird, like the Skyshark (shark and bat) and the Psionaga (an intriguing combination of illithid and naga, engineered to expand mind flayer control to the under-sea).

V. Unanswered Questions

I was left with many unanswered questions. For instance, what is required to create a breeding pair? If one of my two intended creations is flawed as a result of a bad roll, can my creations still breed? Can hybrids breed with one of their progenitor types? What does the stat block look like? Is its alignment Always, Usually, or Often? If I create an Outsider from an elemental and an animal, and I breed the result with an animal through mundane methods... First, does it work? Second, is the result an Outsider? I think it should probably be a Magical Beast, but left to such improvised rulings, the functionality of this book is suspect. I think we can safely assume that a fusion of a high-level an a character and a high Hit Dice monster does not pass their Hit Dice on to their children. We are not told how to decide on a favored class, though, or how to determine a creature's lifespan. No suggestions are given for incorporating weakened special abilities, like giving a hybrid fire resistance 10, when its progenitors have 20 and none, respectively. Finally, the CR of the resulting creature is left up to the GM.

While few hard and fast rules could be made, it would have been nice to receive some suggestions on how two or more crossbreeds can begin a new species. For intelligent creatures, favored class and alignment tendencies could turn out to be something different than either parent, although the logic should be evident. For instance, a mix of elf and gnome might not favor a wizard of any sort, but rather the rogue, based on their nimbleness. Also, no suggestions are made as to how to determine "average" ability scores for hybrids based on two un-average creatures.

VI. Evaluation

This book immediately brought to mind the hybridization techniques presented in Bard Games' Arcanum and Talislanta, back in the day, and I seized this book partly out of nostalgia for such things. However, the similarities are superficial. While the procedures in this book do carry a margin of error, the hybrids in this book are the result of careful design, not haphazard experimentation. In fact, the basic game design seems to have been to curb mini-maxing while offering maximum opportunities for creativity. The results aren't entirely satisfying. There aren't enough charts, to my taste, for a book of this nature, nor enough flavor text to help dumbfounded GMs answer such questions as, "Can my owlbear breed mundanely with my bearowl?"

In a d20 world, it's rare to find something that actually expands the game. This book adds magical crossbreeding to the list of options available to player wizards, in addition to spell research or item creation. That is definitely a good thing. It's certainly more useful than another book of Prestige Classes or humanoid deities. Since the competition is weak, this booklet qualifies as a worthy purchase. More play-testing and development would have been nice. I highly recommend you pass over the next Complete Uber-Cleric sourcebook in favor of this little gem. More than just utility, this book provides entertainment. Weird combination monsters is a venerable D&D tradition, well-honored by this fun and handy book.

APPENDIX:

The Secret Origin of the Thoul

The thoul was always one of my favorite D&D creatures, a combination of hobgoblin, troll, and ghoul with little purpose in the game except to freak out your players. It looks like a hobgoblin, sort of, but regenerates (a little) and has a paralyzing touch. Since undead hybrids are not allowed, I came up with this, my first magical crossbreed. It?s not precisely the same as its inspiration, and is a good deal more dangerous.

Thoul
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8 + 16 (32 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 17 (+1 Dex, +3 natural, +3 studded leather)
Attacks: 2 claws +5 melee or weapon
Damage: 1d4 +2 + paralysis
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Paralysis
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., regeneration 5
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Diguise+6, Hide +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4
Feats: none
Climate/Terrain: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Progenitors (stage one): Hobgoblin (Medium humanoid/goblinoid), Gelatinous cube (Huge ooze)
Transmutational Ritual DC: 38
(+2 size modifier, +10 creature type modifier, +6 hybrid adjustment modifiers for bumping Dex, Int, Wis, and Cha to their maximum value, paralysis, and one size change)
Material Costs: 19,000 gp

Progenitors (stage two): Hob Globlin (Medium aberration), Troll (Large Giant)
Transmutational Ritual DC: 28
(+1 size modifier, +5 creature type modifier, +2 hybrid adjustment for paralysis and regeneration; note that Str, Con, Int, and Wis were shuffled at no cost)
Material Costs: 9000 gp

The wizard Dirzaud intended to create a deadly race of warriors. To this end, he fused a captured hobgoblin with a gelatinous cube, combining the hobgoblin's form with the ooze's paralysis. However, things did not go according to plan. The resulting monstrosity had the desired paralytic touch, but had translucent, gelatinous skin. Not only did Dirzaud despise its horrific appearance, but the resulting hybrid could not possibly be mistaken for a hobgoblin. Dirzaud despaired. Hoping to salvage something for his efforts, he decided to cross the Hob Globlin with a captured troll. The result was a surprising success; its translucent skin blended with the gray-green hide of a troll to produce a horrific, but disguisable appearance, while the combination of paralysis and regeneration made the creature deadly indeed. Dirzaud was overjoyed. While the creature was entirely different from his original goals, it had obvious utility as a shock trooper. He was able to duplicate his work and create a mated pair.

In time, Dirzaud unleashed his plan to conquest the region. Warriors who faced his monsters for the first time mistook the creatures for some sort of ghoul because of their paralyzing touch and their gray-green, somewhat translucent hides (making them appear perhaps undead). Later reports told of their regenerating powers and their goblin-like appearance. Thus, the name "thoul" came into being from the belief the creatures were part troll, part hobgoblin, and part ghoul. Eventually, Dirzaud's plans were crushed and his thouls ruthlessly hunted. However, a very few escaped, and went on to live in hiding among hobgoblin and troll communities, often as leaders, bravos, or advisors. To this day, the fearsome thoul is believed extinct. Very few anywhere understand the thouls' true nature.

COMBAT

Thouls have sharp, black inch-long claws capable of inflicting deadly slashes as well as paralysis, and sometimes use weapons, especially when traveling in disguise. Thouls regenerate.

Regeneration (Ex): Fire and acid deal normal damage to a thoul. If a thoul loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can re-attach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump. Paralysis (Ex): The thoul's claws transmit an anaesthetizing poison. Any creature hit by a thoul's claw attack must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 16) or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds.

(Notes: I sized down the claws and averaged down the Troll's natural armor. There was no need to carry over the hobgoblin's darkvision, which aberrations possess automatically.)

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
This is a magical setting where you regularly have giant fire-breathing dinosaurs disguise themselves as normal pink and fleshy people to get their rocks off, and viable children are a result.

In case that isn't clear, science has no place in this conversation. But if you do want to consider it... consdier the "Liger". Half-tiger, half-lion. Bigger then either. So don't feel constrained by "best of" or "worst of" or "average" or anything. Sometimes half-breeds exhibit traits neither did in isolation. Throw in magic and who knows what's gonna happen.

Remove ads