D&D 4E How do you feel about 4E right *now*? (week of 1/21/08)

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 406 70.2%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 172 29.8%

D_E

Explorer
Overall, Thumbs Up.

I'm looking forward to the 4th Edition mechanics.

The fluff, not so much. It looks good, just not the direction I wanted it to go.

Voss

First Post
Middle ground. Some good things, some bad things, and a complete inability to build on things that are interesting in concept (Shadowfell, Feywild) and write decent background material.

Their complete inability to post preview material has me feeling down, however. On the other hand, escaping the train wreck that 3rd edition has accumulated into over time has me feeling a little optimistic.

I didn't vote in your poll, however, since you don't seem to want complex opinions.

Tewligan

First Post
Thumbs down. The game has been straying too far away from my ideal "feel" of D&D in both rules and fluff. Although 4e sounds like it's taking a few baby steps in directions I like, most of the changes put it even further away from what I want - like GlassJaw, I am NOT digging having dragonmen as a playable race, for example.

reutbing0

First Post
Big thumbs up for me. I may sound like a fanboy but I really like most of what I've heard. I Like the general direction the game is heading towards, excited about the new FR, enjoying the art I've seen, interested in the online component, and optimistic that the new business model will keep the game healthy for years to come. So yeah, thumbs up :).

Lord Fyre

First Post
Voss said:
Middle ground. Some good things, some bad things, and a complete inability to build on things that are interesting in concept (Shadowfell, Feywild) and write decent background material.

Their complete inability to post preview material has me feeling down, however. On the other hand, escaping the train wreck that 3rd edition has accumulated into over time has me feeling a little optimistic.

I didn't vote in your poll, however, since you don't seem to want complex opinions.

That is kind of where I am too. :/

I have several reasons against, but a few good reasons for.

Against:
* I still think that, because of 3.5, that it is "too early" for a new edition.
* Also, because of 3.5, I am concerned that they are rushing the development too much. Will we need a version 4.5 in a couple of years to fix this version.
* Finally, WoTC/Hasbro's marketing stratagy for D&D is starting to make it feel a little too "collectable" for my tastes.

But, at the same time, 3rd/3.5 was clearly broken both, with major balance issues (Equivilent Levels and Christmas Tree Items) and an overly complex NPC system.

Last edited:

Counterspin

First Post
Thumbs up. Designers are clearly concerned with the same 3.5 problems I was. The fluff can take a hike, I won't use it, but I don't begrudge it to people who want it. SWSE and Book of Nine Swords are some of my favorite gaming books, so I'm looking forward to 4e.

Remove ads