• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How Do You Feel About Established Lore

How Do You Feel About Lore? Choose the closest answer.

• Published lore is extremely important; my home game uses D&D lore exclusively.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • The published lore is somewhat important; it sets certain expectations for my home game.

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • The default D&D lore is fine I guess, I use some of it and write the rest myself.

Votes: 32 35.2%
  • The published lore? I try to use as little of it as possible in favor of my own writing.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Lore? What's that?

Votes: 6 6.6%

Voadam

Legend
My homebrew setting is a mashup. I extensively use lore that I like from a lot of settings and games and such (various D&D settings, Golarion, WFRP, WH40K, World of Darkness, lots of others). Weaving in a lot of lore from a lot of settings is a lot of fun for me. None of it is 100% but I use a lot of lore and it is fairly important for my games and my DMing.

The most important aspect of published lore imo is the time it saves having to come up with stuff on one's own. Probably the majority of people who play DnD have a lot of responsibilities outside of their DnD campaigns, so being able to save time by having ready-to-use material can greatly affect their enjoyment of the game. Even if just for inspiration, that means time saved from being stuck trying to brainstorm ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads