How do you feel about learning new rule systems?

Kodiak3D

Explorer
I'm just curious to see how people feel about new systems. Are you less likely to try a new game if it's a system you aren't familiar with?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
If someone invites me to be a player at their table, I would prefer a system I already know, but I am ok with learning a new system.

If I had to be the DM, no.

I feel much the same way - I'm happy to learn a new system, but not on my own. I need one or more others in the game to either a) already know the game and help me (and others) to learn it, or b) if I'm GMing a new system, I need one or more others to be just as invested as I am in learning the game, looking up rules, etc. If I'm learning the system and running it - that's no good.

pogre

Legend
It better be:
1. A genre I am interested in; and
2. Have a cool resolution mechanic.

So, yeah - I am hesitant to try new RPG systems.

Now, miniatures? Bring on the new game!

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
In general I am all for learning and playing new games. It has to provide something new and exciting though.

If it's a larger 200+ page thing with detailed rules and setting I need to be like really really excited.

For something like most Powered By The Apocalypse games where a reference sheet and a playbook are all I need let's get to it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To play? I will pick up a new ruleset at the drop of a hat. If a GM I know gives me a general pitch I like, I am basically copacetic with the players in the game, I don't really care which ruleset it is. I'll play almost anything

To run? If someone asks me to run a new system, I'm also pretty good with that - I've done it several times for playtests, for example. But, just for my own campaigns, it takes a bit more work.

G

Guest 6948803

I played and ran great variety or rpgs - not as many as some, because by the time indie games became popular I already knew what I like and had no reason to try everything.
But I am not alien to learn new ones if they have serious promise.
Lately I am learning (as a player) Warhammer 4th edition, and I can tell already that I don't like it and will never run it.
On my "have to try it" is 2d20 Conan by Modiphius, but it looks overly complicated and meta for my liking, so I am on the fence.
The one issue with trying new system is, that its serious time investment, and my group already have game systems for most genres we like. For example, we won't buy or learn new L5R edition, because our old edition serves just fine for that one Rokugan campaign we are having every few years.

monsmord

Adventurer
I'm the curious "engineer" sort. I'll look at any rules system to see how they're doing it, why, the pros and cons. I'm less likely to do so if it's derivative of another system I know. But I'm not likely to actually play it at all unless I have a group also willing to experiment. And in 40-odd (oh, crap, I just realized) years of gaming, I've not found that group.

Retreater

Legend
I'm slowing down on learning new systems, as they are all blending together, and I'm finding that I'm losing system mastery on the games I play regularly. And nowadays, in quarantine gaming, 5e is almost the only game in town that is widely supported on Roll20. (PF2 is a mess on there, but I'm trying to make it work.) Forget about WHFRPG, Savage Worlds, or Forbidden Lands (games I was seriously collecting before the pandemic). Call of Cthulhu, I think, is an option on there, but I don't think it suits itself to VTT play.
I hate to be "that guy," but I believe I am going to invest about 75% of my TTRPG purchasing on 5e from now on. (Not including minis, because I still enjoy assembling and painting them, even though I'm probably not going to play in person again and use them at a real table.)

Remove ads