D&D General How do you like your ASIs?

What do you like to see in your character creation rules?

• Fixed ASI including possible negatives.

Votes: 27 19.9%
  • Fixed ASI without negatives.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Floating ASI with restrictions.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Floating ASI without restrictions.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • Some fixed and some floating ASI.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • No ASI

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other (feel free to describe)

Votes: 11 8.1%

Lyxen

Great Old One
Sure they were. In 1e, they had no attribute bonuses or penalties, could be of any class, and had no special senses or skills. All the others had some changes to the character sheet, values, or limitations. If you picked human the only thing you had to focus on was your class and gear.

If you don't think humans are the newbie race in 5e, which one is? Or do you think they are all equally complicated?

I'll even take your word for it. I'm sure everyone else in this thread has greater expertise in the 5e ruleset than I do.

Why should there be a "newbie race" ? Races are not complicated anyway. So yes, please take our word for it, there are no newbie races, and actually using that word is condescending, so you might just want to forget it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There is a difference between "Humans are a newbie race" and "Humans were designed simplistic so that newbies have access to a race with no extra bells and whistles"

The 5e Humans and the 5e Champion Fighter were designed to give a completely new player an easy PC to create and run.

Last edited:

Sure they were. In 1e, they had no attribute bonuses or penalties, could be of any class, and had no special senses or skills. All the others had some changes to the character sheet, values, or limitations. If you picked human the only thing you had to focus on was your class and gear.

If you don't think humans are the newbie race in 5e, which one is? Or do you think they are all equally complicated?

I'll even take your word for it. I'm sure everyone else in this thread has greater expertise in the 5e ruleset than I do.
I think @Lyxen got it right
Why should there be a "newbie race" ? Races are not complicated anyway. So yes, please take our word for it, there are no newbie races, and actually using that word is condescending, so you might just want to forget it.

And I should add, 5ed is already newbie friendly. Not a lot of complicated thing to understand. You can play from the get go right off the bat with the downloadable ruleset. Yes, some rules are opened for debate (I look at you hiding rule) but nothing on the complexity scale that was in 3.xed or even 4th. There are no racial mechanics that are so complex as to make elite races (as long as you keep fixed ASI ;) )

Honestly, I'd suspect Warlock must be one of the worst noobie classes. You have to very strictly manage spell slots and know how to use your cantrips well, you really should take Eldrich Blast (really should have been a freebie), there's so many choices to make, some of the houserule or culture around patrons, while not following RAW, can mean some GMs might take away your powers, etc. etc. etc.

Vaalingrade

Legend
My newbies never play human champions. It's usually elven wizards, firbolg druids or dragon born warlocks. 😊
I've honestly never seen a newbie gravitate to a 'simple' option due to its simplicity unless forced to by veteran.

They usually have concept in their head and ask for help building it.

Also, Human Champion Fighter is a terrible ambassador to the fun and imagination of RPGs. It's like introducing people to ice cream via unsweetened frozen milk.

Remove ads