How do you like your steak prepared?

Voadam

Legend
Rare.

Shocked a waiter in France when I ordered a rare steak. "But you are American!" when I confirmed that yes I am American and I prefer my steak rare he proudly said "That is how we prefer it! Americans and British never order rare though. I will tell the chef!"

the Jester

Legend
A good steak medium rare is a great yumminess.

In a restaurant I know that medium is the rarest I'll get.

A common reason for places to overcook their meat is a concern over lawsuits from undercooked meat, especially when they might not always keep the freshest meat on hand. :\

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I don't know the term for it in English. One step less than rare. In French its called "Blue", referring to the lovely purple colour of uncooked beef.

Basically, grab it, slap it onthe grill to make it scream (or moo) for a few seconds, flip it over, and then slap it on my plate, thank-you-very-much sir.

Unfortunately, many States and most of Canada doesn't allow for beef to be served that hasn't reached a certain internal temperature...

diaglo

Adventurer
in my youth...it had to be shoe leather.

but the older i get the bloodier i like it.

just after college and even though i worked in a micro lab i started to enjoy well done.

and then i progressed to medium well

currently i'm in the medium range.

perhaps by the time i'm in a nursing home i'll be the steak tartar style.

HellHound said:
Unfortunately, many States and most of Canada doesn't allow for beef to be served that hasn't reached a certain internal temperature...

In the US - you'll get the warning on the menu, but you should be able to order steak as rare as you'd like in most establishments.

Also - I'm really, really hungry. This thread is making it worse.

reveal

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Rare.

Shocked a waiter in France when I ordered a rare steak. "But you are American!" when I confirmed that yes I am American and I prefer my steak rare he proudly said "That is how we prefer it! Americans and British never order rare though. I will tell the chef!"

Ha. Same thing happened to me. I ordered steak tartare and he "explained" to me that it was raw meat. I still ordered it. I love steak tartare. :)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
About an eighth of an inch on either side seared, and the rest red and cool. And served with fresh-grated ginger. And made out of tuna :).

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads