How Do You Organise Long-haul Campaigns?

Ondath

Hero
I got the urge to start this thread due to a specific concern I'm having, but feel free to have a more general discussion!

I'm having a bit of a conundrum in my D&D 5E first-homebrew-world-now-multiverse campaign, which has been going on for more than two years now. This is a campaign that spanned several different media (first face-to-face, then fully online when the pandemic started, then back to fully face to face when things settled down and now a hybrid form because some players moved cities), and my own DMing style has shifted slightly over time: At first, I felt the need to custom design every monster from scratch because I was dissatisfied with WotC's monster design, then I got A5E's Monstrous Menagerie, I added and removed a ton of house rules, things like that. One side effect of going through so many forms and DMing styles in the duration of this one campaign has been that my campaign notes have been... to say the least, completely disorganised.

I first wrote everything by hand and kept a file, since that was an option when going face to face. Then I moved the game first to Roll20 and then to D&D Beyond when we started playing online, and while those platforms had some advantages (automation or at least ease of reference for NPC and PC sheets, nice maps on VTTs, that sort of stuff), my notes started spreading to different platforms over time. I tried starting a campaign bible on OneNote so that everything could be easily cross-referenced, but the sheer legwork needed to transcribe every NPC, game summary and piece of lore anew to OneNote meant that I never got around to finishing the campaign bible. Instead, these days some of my notes are on an unsaved file on Notepad++, some are on OneNote, and some are on the VTT du jour that I use for that specific game. For 10+ games it's been Foundry, which is also a contender to house my new campaign bible but once again I cannot bring myself to do the - by now astronomical - legwork needed to transfer everything there.

I don't mean to say that my campaign is inconsistent or that my games aren't fun. I regularly manage to set up huge callbacks to earlier games, and the players really do have fun with the massive scope of a game that's been going on for 87 sessions and by now covers multiple worlds. For most weeks, I manage to get just barely the necessary amount of prep and prepare notes for the upcoming game. But then the next week rolls in before I can get to organise my earlier notes, and the pile of disorganised campaign notes keeps growing. Sometimes I want to start a new campaign just so I can stick to one medium, one document and keep everything organised, but obviously this is no reason to drop a campaign.

With that in mind, I wanted to ask the residents of EN World how you organise your DM/GM/ST/Referee notes when you're running a campaign that's been going on for a while (let's say more than 10 games). Did you pick an organisation format and stick to it all the way? Did you get fed up with your random notes and manage to bring them all together midway? Is your campaign still a collection of barely intelligible notes? How do you do it?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm running two campaigns at the moment; one has been going for 100 sessions, the other for 66, both every-other-week. I have two sets or types of notes I can (and do) fall back on. I have my prep notes, which are pen-on-paper, in a loose-leaf binder. I can look back at them to keep things consistent with my prior thinking or intentions or whatever--though stuff the PCs didn't actually find or encounter is open to change. And I have in-session notes, taken by a player at the table, sitting in a shared GDrive folder. I can use these to stay consistent with prior events and what not, and these do not change (barring GM idiocy).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
For awhile I was running Paizo Adventure paths so they kind of organized for me. I'd take a few notes on things that players had to remember, but mostly the APs run from one module to the next.

Since moving away from those, and turning to VTT, I find myself forcing my notes and prep into two areas. The first is discord, which also is used as a communication tool. The second is journals in Foundry to pass to players as necessary. I can often copy paste right from my discord notes and module text into the journals. Its all pretty cut and dry. YMMV.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
When my games were primarily face-to-face I'd keep handwritten notes during my sessions. They'd go into a folder to be stored with my campaign documents so I'd be able to remember what we'd done from session to session (my campaign documents would be printed out so I could refer to them in game and also so I could hand them to players if necessary).

After moving online I now keep a Google doc with my session notes in it and my campaign documents rarely get printed out since everyone has a screen. Even when we play at the table I'll now have my laptop next to me for notetaking rather than my pad and paper - I've just gotten too used to having it online and I'm never going to take my pencil-and-paper notes and transcribe them later (I know myself too well). My session notes are now interspersed with my combat bookkeeping notes as well (which actually helps me to remember the combats and I can put relevant notes about things that happen during an encounter right there as well - I used to keep those as separate things and throw out the combat bookkeeping after a session). My session notes are basically a living document

I also have reduced prep for my games to the minimum needed. We play on roll20 but I've gotten my players used to whiteboard combats with proxy tokens there - I don't have time to create all of the tokens we'd need (nor do I always know what we're going to need anyway - my players will surprise me and I'll need to improvise).

Ondath

Hero
For awhile I was running Paizo Adventure paths so they kind of organized for me. I'd take a few notes on things that players had to remember, but mostly the APs run from one module to the next.

Since moving away from those, and turning to VTT, I find myself forcing my notes and prep into two areas. The first is discord, which also is used as a communication tool. The second is journals in Foundry to pass to players as necessary. I can often copy paste right from my discord notes and module text into the journals. Its all pretty cut and dry. YMMV.
Organising around APs is one angle I didn't consider, I have to admit. Do you think having the AP's own organisation helps or hinders your note taking?

And using Discord for notes is an interesting option! Does that mean your notes there are player-facing? Or is there a GM-only channel where you keep them?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
And using Discord for notes is an interesting option! Does that mean your notes there are player-facing? Or is there a GM-only channel where you keep them?
I can't speak for @payn but the sequence for me tends to go something like: GM creates text; GM copy-pastes it in Discord text channel; note-taking player copy-pastes text from Discord channel into session notes.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Organising around APs is one angle I didn't consider, I have to admit. Do you think having the AP's own organisation helps or hinders your note taking?

It helps in that the APs are large outline. I dont have to note about important things its already in the text. All I have to do is note how the players engaged the material.

I have many channels in our discord. One is a general chat channel that is used to plan sessions, let each other know if we cant make it, and just talk general RPG+ stuff. Then, I have a session note section that is player facing but only I the GM write in it. They have a channel for in game stuff like tracking loot and discussing in character stuff. I have a private channel that I keep stuff to myself until its time to reveal. The last channel has largely shifted to Foundry VTT journals.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I play in person but with my iPad at hand. I have a PBwiki that is about 15 years old at this point. I keep all my notes there, or in an online calendar with a link back to the wiki. I compose most of my adventures in textedit and then copy-paste to the wiki. This makes editing and adding notes a breeze. The PCs take paper notes and if my notes and theirs vary, well, that’s their problem! They can always check the wiki if they want…

Ondath

Hero
I play in person but with my iPad at hand. I have a PBwiki that is about 15 years old at this point. I keep all my notes there, or in an online calendar with a link back to the wiki. I compose most of my adventures in textedit and then copy-paste to the wiki. This makes editing and adding notes a breeze. The PCs take paper notes and if my notes and theirs vary, well, that’s their problem! They can always check the wiki if they want…
Wikis are an option I briefly considered, and I've got some questions for you!

In that case, are the majority of your notes player-facing in the wiki? And I guess you were able to build the wiki to that size one day at a time and that made transferring everything less of a hassle?

I thought about starting an Obsidian Portal/Kanka.io/Wiki page for my setting, but I was dissuaded for a few reasons. I feel like I'd be the only one who would read everything there, since my players don't really read game-related stuff much except when they need to prep for levelling up, so the wiki probably wouldn't interest them. And if that's the case, I feel like I was designing something public-facing for nobody, and I might as well keep my notes private.

That said, I have a lot of admiration for people who keep an up-to-date wiki for their campaigns. Even as someone who is not in the game, it's pretty cool seeing something that was created on their table immortalised in the web!

Gilladian

Adventurer
Wikis are an option I briefly considered, and I've got some questions for you!

In that case, are the majority of your notes player-facing in the wiki? And I guess you were able to build the wiki to that size one day at a time and that made transferring everything less of a hassle?

I thought about starting an Obsidian Portal/Kanka.io/Wiki page for my setting, but I was dissuaded for a few reasons. I feel like I'd be the only one who would read everything there, since my players don't really read game-related stuff much except when they need to prep for levelling up, so the wiki probably wouldn't interest them. And if that's the case, I feel like I was designing something public-facing for nobody, and I might as well keep my notes private.

That said, I have a lot of admiration for people who keep an up-to-date wiki for their campaigns. Even as someone who is not in the game, it's pretty cool seeing something that was created on their table immortalised in the web!
I started my wiki a long time ago, and yet I still have areas that are bare-bones! Anyway, yes, I would say 90% is player-facing, including my campaign writeups. And no, they rarely read it. But it IS an excellent historical document, and I often use it to refresh my memory on things that happened “way back then”. Essentially, it is a history of most of my dnd campaigns. Here is the homepage: Vishteer Campaign / FrontPage
and the current campaign: Vishteer Campaign / FrontPage

Remove ads