• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce "Minotaur"?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've always heard (and consequently said) it as "Mine-oh-tore" but listening to Wil Wheaton reading the audiobook of Ready Player One, he says "Minn-uh-tarr", which sounds really weird to my ears. It didn't even occur to me that that pronunciation might exist until today.

I'm guessing this is just a regional (UK/US) difference. How do you say it?

We mostly go for it the way that Wil says it, but your way is not unheard of. It just depends on how dramatic they want to sound.

You can fight twelve minn-uh-tarrs, no problem, but the mighty mine-oh-tore is another level of danger entirely!

aramis erak

Legend
I've always heard (and consequently said) it as "Mine-oh-tore" but listening to Wil Wheaton reading the audiobook of Ready Player One, he says "Minn-uh-tarr", which sounds really weird to my ears. It didn't even occur to me that that pronunciation might exist until today.

I'm guessing this is just a regional (UK/US) difference. How do you say it?

Minn-uh-tar or Min-oh-taur, emphasis on 1st syllable.

Occasionally, Mee-no-tar, which is more consistent with the latin.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Minn-o-tore, but my wife says minn-uh-tarr, and I have friends who say those, as well as mine-o-tore, mine-uh-taur, etc. some of us aren't even consistent, and pronounce it different ways depending on what is most cromulent in a given sentence.

Dioltach

Legend
Um, doesn't it come from Greek? Specifically, Minos the king of Crete?

Yes, or to be more precise, from Minou tauros: Minos's bull.
My Oxford Concise English Dictionary gives "min-eh-taw" as the preferred pronunciation, and "my-neh-taw" as the alternative (avoiding precise phonetic symbols here). I've always used the second, though.

Remove ads