D&D 5E How Does A Fighter Deal With Falling In Battle?

Azurewraith

Explorer
You just got nuked don't worry about it to much bud yes its infuriating getting paralyzed and insta gibbed but thats part of the game try and bolster your saves to avoid it happening again, if it becomes a regular drop the hammer go for a shield. You will go down every now and again if your plan is to run in and go ham you will go down, thats what a barbarian does not a fighter.

On the topic of paladin yes they are straight up broken. Even more so when your DM ruled that you could summon a monster at your CR with find steed at 9th lvl i summoned a dragon.....

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
You just got nuked don't worry about it to much bud yes its infuriating getting paralyzed and insta gibbed but thats part of the game try and bolster your saves to avoid it happening again, if it becomes a regular drop the hammer go for a shield. You will go down every now and again if your plan is to run in and go ham you will go down, thats what a barbarian does not a fighter.

On the topic of paladin yes they are straight up broken. Even more so when your DM ruled that you could summon a monster at your CR with find steed at 9th lvl i summoned a dragon.....

It's amusing that find steed is better than find familiar or the warlock's special familiar from their Pact. It's kind of ridiculous. Find Steed can act completely independently of the paladin, but not so a familiar or ranger beastmaster pet.

It is very easy for a fighter to get a passable will defense. But not if you go 15str 15dex 15con 8 8 8. That is a problem with optimizing. You can and it is viable but you should not complain if your weakness shows.
It is also the difference between white room analysis and actual play. You need to adapt to the game. If a lot of enemies hit you and you go down fast, a little defense will help your damage output more than 10% more damage.
Take iron will as a feat. Use a shield when it seems appropriate. Defender fighting style is often thoight to be the worst one... but its flexibility may pay off in the end, while all other styles seem to allow only one solition to all problems.
Our fighter with archery style actually fights in melee half the time and even puts on shield which makes him more useful overall.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You're probably not going to like this answer, but to me letting the enemy have even a single attack is the result of a strategic failure. Play smart and cunning, and be utterly ruthless. If an enemy is able to harm you significantly on a hit, then they could crit and kill you. Don't give them that chance. .

I understand and largely agree with your point, being a big fan of preparation and creative thinking myself. However, your post omits one really important thing:

PCs aren't the only ones who get to think ahead and plan tactics for upcoming battles. Everything you just gave as an example? Some monsters can to the same thing to the PCs. So no, I don't consider it a strategic (or tactical) failure if a monster hits you. The game is actually designed to be that way.

As far as the paladin/fighter issue, I guess it's preference. I've played both, and prefer the fighter. I've also been most effective in combat with the fighter over the paladin as well.

What cmad1977 said. Every point of damage you took and remained standing for was one that the rest of the party, with lower HP, didn’t have to take. In the Fastball Special, sometimes you’re Wolverine, and sometimes you’re Colossus.

Although, one thing…are you the only “front line” character in the group? That can definitely put extra stress on any Fighter, no matter how tough.

You weren't useless at all. You soaked up vastly more damage than anyone else can take.
Sometimes it's more important to take the hit and let others make the play. (Semi hockey analogy).

Tony Vargas

Legend
And I guess I know the reason: depends on the number of short and long rests you get. The paladin as well as the eldritch knight need long rests once in a while, the paladin even more so.
Nod. In theory, if 'days' ran 6-8 medium-hard encounters and 2-3 short rests, the Fighter might put in a better showing relative to the Paladin. In practice, just as campaigns don't tend to go to really high level, days don't tend to get that long (nor, for that matter, short rests that frequent).

Psikerlord#

Explorer
"Suck it up." Great friendly words. Wasn't looking for tactics or gym coach level advice. Was looking for people who get pissed when they're kind of useless. I'm level 13. I have gone in swinging every time. It's risky, but it always works out. I guess a better title for the thread would be "How do you keep yourself from :):):):)ing screaming when you get screwed out of playing?"
Bananas was the only really helpful poster.
Sorry I didnt mean to offend or be rude, I meant "suck it up" as a friendly jibe! If your big damage fighter didnt get dropped from time to time, he'd be OP... er, kinda like the paladin ;)

Nod. In theory, if 'days' ran 6-8 medium-hard encounters and 2-3 short rests, the Fighter might put in a better showing relative to the Paladin. In practice, just as campaigns don't tend to go to really high level, days don't tend to get that long (nor, for that matter, short rests that frequent).

Yes. This is why I started denying long rest during daylong travels.
For a dungeon rests work. Overland adventures are harde to balance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads