• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does one balance a PrC?

jasamcarl

First Post
Psion said:

You know it's comments like this that cause so many people to get in flame wars with you. Your position is not inherently correct, so you need not assume that if someone disagrees with you then it MUST be because there is a misunderstanding or a failure in reading comprehension.

I read what you had to say. I just disagree with it.

Really? I thought it was because I am so thorough in my arguments that it is easier to attack my character than my ideas? ;)

I understand this attitude, I just vehemently disagree with it. This kind of thinking is responsible for most of the bad ideas in 3.5e AFAIAC (e.g., pokemounts.)

The oringinal 3e designers did not approach class design in this manner, and the core classes still don't reflect this sort of thinking. Else the fighter would be patently overpowered, as other classes like rogues do have noncombat abilities factored into their balance.

Now it is true that combat is a major part, thus the reason you see things like sneak attack to help keep rogues effective and limited spell slots to keep mages from contributing more combat damage than fighters. But, again, you are creating a false dichotomy. Just because combat has enough of an emphasis that most classes are optimized to have an effective role in combat does not mean that combat is (or should be) the only determiner of balance.

Actually, the 3.5 team played the smart card, because they realized how difficult it was to balance classes by out of combat activity. Until I see firm rules on how much times a dm should throw an encounter that requires skill X or utility spell Y, its probably best to judge balance by the effectivness of a class in the situations that have the firmest rules, costs, and rewards, i.e. combat. Because its very easy for a dm to create out-of-combat circumstances where most utility abilities aren't strictly neccessary or where they don't cover a particular situation...Passive...Its very diffcult to assess a reasonable tradeoff between incombat and out-of-combat ability.

Since you are not saying something I agree with here, I don't see how I missed anything. Characters are most certainly balanced without outside of combat issues in mind. Hint: if they weren't, then there would be no CR/ECL dichotomy.

Actually, this was in response to the implication that i got from your post that roll balance had to incorporate out-of-combat situations. I disagree, because combat incorporates the idea.

HINT: you don't seem to understand CR/EL. They are both primarily functions of combat effectivness, the only division is between PC and NPC. Because in a single combat, the difference between an effective spell-like ability 3/day and one at will is due to whether one is creature is in a single encounter or multiple. ;)

Given that most adventures involve several combat encounters and several noncombat challenges, enough will certainly show up in play that it certainly will be telling.

If you are only having one short encounter a day all the time, then it is a wonder that single classes arcane casters aren't dominating your game. Fortunately, that is not the core assumption behind the way classes and adventures are structured.

Oh please. You assumption about my assumptions is unwarrented and disingenuous; I was not implying a single encounter. It would take more than four encounters of the appropriate levels for the low-level spells of the MT or the half-assed melee abilities of the EK to show up. And really, it is only in the scenario of a large number of low EL encounters that these things are balanced against the straight singleclassers. That is where they are balanced, and is really the only reason to take these prcs from a mechanical point of view....

In short, what you really seem to be telling me here is that EK and MT work the way you run a game. That's fine, if it works for the way you play, then by all means use them.

In short, I could say the same for you. But please don't assault me with the delusion that your way is maintained by the majority of dms. Quite frankly, you haven't provided any evidence of it, though you have proven to be a master of intentional misinterrpretation and selective readings. ;)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
jasamcarl wrote
Actually, the 3.5 team played the smart card, because they realized how difficult it was to balance classes by out of combat activity.

If that was their entire intent, they failed to apply it consistently (which I think is exactly the case) as the core classes, as I have already shown, do show compensation for out of combat activity.

HINT: you don't seem to understand CR/EL. They are both primarily functions of combat effectivness, the only division is between PC and NPC.

You say that as if those were tangential considerations? They aren't. What is the difference between PC and NPC, balance-wise? With NPCs, balance is primarily a factor of the challenge they present to PCs in combat. With PCs, you also have to factor in resources that they use to grapple with challenges outside of combat.

Because in a single combat, the difference between an effective spell-like ability 3/day and one at will is due to whether one is creature is in a single encounter or multiple.

Fair enough, I'll give you that. It's certainly partially about the fact that many creature abilities circumvent traditional party resource considerations. But again, don't try to foist a false dichotomy on me. The bywords of the designers is that ECL and CR are different because tehy measure different things, not just that they measure staying power. A mind flayer's ECL is so high, in part, because it has significant high level abilities that are very useful in grappling with challenges outside of combat.

Oh please. You assumption about my assumptions is unwarrented and disingenuous; I was not implying a single encounter.

My assumptions are based directly on your posts here; if that isn't sufficient, feel free to clarify, but if you really expect me to read your mind to have a discussion, we might as well hang it up right here.

It would take more than four encounters of the appropriate levels for the low-level spells of the MT or the half-assed melee abilities of the EK to show up.

On this point I can only beg to differ. I have seen mid to high level mages tapped out of effective spells and pulling out the back-up wand in many games. I can't not think that a MT or EK would be pulling out their other class spells or swords as appropriate in those situations.

In short, I could say the same for you. But please don't assault me with the delusion that your way is maintained by the majority of dms.

Considering that my methods pretty much come out of the DMG, I think I have a pretty strong reason to believe that my way is actually the not as odd as you would like to imply. And reading various story hour accounts of pitched battles that end with tapped out mages, that only leads me more to think that I am in no way an outlier here.

Re "delusion" and "master of misinterperetation": There you go with the attacks again. Make your argument or don't make it. Spare me the snipes.

Hello again Psion mate! :)

Psion said:
So, you come from the Benjamin Durbin philosophy of multiclassing power? Let's just say that while I don't agree with you that the exchange rate between power and versatility from different casting classes is 1:1, I also don't agree with jasamcarl that it's 1:0. Both are extreme attitudes; the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I actually agree with you that its somewhere in the middle; but what I would debate is the percentage between '1' and '0' you are addressing in terms of a single character level.

Frankly I think its negligable.

I also think the raw power of the Mystic Theurge is diminished by the power of the Cleric and Wizard classes (both powerful classes compared to most of the others).

I mean most of the classes rate in and around +0.8 to +0.85 per level (before equipment). However the Wizard rates about +0.88 and the Cleric +0.93. Compared to the mighty +1.1 of the Mystic Theurge.

Psion said:
By 10th level MT, you are right.

Look at it this way. MT's power increase is large and uniform. I would vehemently disagree, for example, that a Clr3/Wiz3/MT1 is as powerful as a Wiz7, though you are certainly better off than a Clr3/Wiz4. But we agree that the per level power increase is rather large. So this gap closes and by 10th level, the power afforded the MT is excessive.

I am not sure if you mean 10th-level 'total' or 10 levels in Mystic Theurge. If you mean the former then I would certainly concur; though I would even suggest that by 8th-level they have already virtually reached parity of power (3rd-level Cleric AND Wizard spell access compared to 4th-level Wizard spell access; not to mention better overall hit points; BAB etc.)

Psion

Adventurer
Upper_Krust said:
I am not sure if you mean 10th-level 'total' or 10 levels in Mystic Theurge.

Mystic Theurge. I don't think (frex) that a Wiz3/Clr3/MT4 is especially bad yet. But then, I'll concede that the exact point at which the MT becomes unquestioningly more handy to have around than a single class Clr or Wiz of the game level is a bit grey; my point is that by 10th level (in MT), he has certainly made up for any defecits.

Hello again bret! :)

bret said:
Just out of curiousity, using your system how to you rate the LoreMaster vs. a standard Wizard?

I rated the Loremaster (with Wizard bonus spellcasting levels) slightly better than the Wizard.

The Wizard worked out to be roughly +0.88*

The Loremaster +0.93* with Sorceror/Wizard spellcasting level.
The Loremaster +0.88* with Cleric spellcasting level.
The Loremaster +0.83* with Druid spellcasting level.

*before equipment

Incidently; Familiar rated +0.8 (equivalent to four feats) over 20 levels. Therefore it added +0.04 per level.

Hi Psion mate! :)

Psion said:
Mystic Theurge. I don't think (frex) that a Wiz3/Clr3/MT4 is especially bad yet. But then, I'll concede that the exact point at which the MT becomes unquestioningly more handy to have around than a single class Clr or Wiz of the game level is a bit grey; my point is that by 10th level (in MT), he has certainly made up for any defecits.

...and then some!

I think the Mystic Theurge outstrips any such multiclassing power deficit within 4 Levels and gains parity within 2 Levels. Added to that, its versatility virtually destroys any other class combination.

Using my system here are how the following rate:

Fighter 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 20.1

Cleric 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 22.6

Wizard 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 21.6

Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 14 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 24.97

Psion

Adventurer
Upper_Krust said:
Using my system here are how the following rate:

Fighter 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 20.1

Cleric 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 22.6

Wizard 20 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 21.6

Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 14 (with 20th-level PC equipment) = CR 24.97

Pre epic level, the MT levels would cap at 10. What would a Clr3/Wiz7/MT10 come to?

(Post Epic levels, aren't the MT progressions scaled back?)

Storminator

First Post
Psion said:

Pre epic level, the MT levels would cap at 10. What would a Clr3/Wiz7/MT10 come to?

Why not Clr3/Wiz3/MT10/Archmage4? Use Spell Power to defeat SR.

PS

Hi Psion mate! :)

Psion said:

Right enough.

Cleric 3/Wizard 7/Mystic Theurge 10 = CR 24.11

Psion said:

I'm not sure about the epic Mystic Theurge progression to be honest. :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads