• Magical punk; Eberron; some attempt at explanation

Votes: 59 44.0%
  • Mostly mediaeval/natural with some supernatural/mystical/fey weirdness

Votes: 78 58.2%
  • Monster ecology and rational traps

Votes: 43 32.1%

QuietBrowser

First Post
Personally, I love Eberron/Nentir Vale/Ravnica style gonzo. I play D&D because I play fantasy; the more bogged down with "realism" a game tends to be, I find, the less fun I tend to have.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ideally I would go with monsters ecology and rational traps... but I often find it hard to keep it all together, so I normally go with some unexplainable/unexplained stuff and tell the players that it's up to them to figure out, where really I have no idea either :)

Ymdar

Explorer
I like monster ecologies. I dislike having thousand year old dungeons with living creatures that need food. Or hostile alpha predators living in a dungeon a few rooms down from other creatures but somehow ignoring them.

This is exactly why I don't like and don't DM regular dungeons. I do enjoy a good stronghold every once in a while or a dungeon inhabited by crazy undead but otherwise I really like monster ecology.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
ab2f00e09e5011f221bc161c4d423a1e.jpg

Exactly this level of Gonzo.

Les Moore

Explorer
I'll allow an occasional departure from RAW, but I won't walk away from them. For me, the game need some sort of guidelines, ere it
descends into gibberish, with each following mawp more outlandish than the last.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I did not even know the first two groups enjoyed grounded world-building.

Oh one of them does. Trust me :)

To me, it's a question of predictability. Either you're chaotic-evil, and anything goes (full gonzo), or you're lawful-good, and most things need to follow a rhyme or a reason. Or you're one of the other six alignments. Just don't ask for mercy from the chaotic-neutral guy.

Remove ads