D&D (2024) How long should a Short rest be in 5E(2024)?

How long should a Short rest be?

• 1 Minute

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 5 Minutes

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • 15 Minutes

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • 1 Hour

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Removed!

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Other duration?

Votes: 16 16.5%

Horwath

Legend
You skipped right over 10 minutes, which I think would be the most obvious. Coincides with the time a ritual spell takes, among other things.

I’m personally fine with the 1-hour short rest, but 10 minutes would be even better.
I was thinking that 10 mins was too close to 5 min. And that is an option in DMG and is in the 4E.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
My gut reaction was 30 minutes (so I said "Other duration") because that's how long my lunch break is at work, which is plenty of time for me to eat and relax a bit before getting back to work. That's basically what I equate Short Rests with in D&D - stopping to have a bite to eat and decompress mentally before heading back out into the fold.

Incenjucar

Legend
I like 15, the rough amount of time you can nap without getting groggy, and it creates room for power nap abilities and effects/environments/age penalties that cause you to need longer short rests.

I think 1 hour is fine as is. It's a decently substantial amount of time so that recuperating has consequences (such as a wandering monster roll in a dungeon crawl, or time moving).
Same, it just works in my experience.

Edit to add: I don't think I'd mind if SR was just removed but I don't think that'll happen officially any time.

The Old Crow

Explorer
1 action, but limited to 2 per day. That way if all you play is one big encounter per day, there is an option to allow for recharging during the battle so you can keep up with the LR classes. If instead it is a bunch of encounters, choose when to recharge between encounters so you don't lose an action during battle, but choose wisely because you can only do it twice.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Some good posts with references to 2e & 4e but the rules back in 2e for resting/recovery along with so much else (refresher for those who want it) were so different that it's hard to compare sometimes.

I don't think that 5e's short rests have anything in common with 2e restingbeyond sharing the same time needed as 20 con PCs needed to regenerate 1hp. The returns for some 5e classes are too far into animal farm style "more equal" than others. with such a large & glaring inequity s 5e's short rest mechanics are more like a "hosw about we try just the tip" runaround 5e's adventuring day:rest expectations to cram ADEU play into a game that's no longer built for ADEU.

Short rests should be gone entirely unless scaling everything back to short rest powered ADEU design is in the cards. Spend hit dice whenever you want with some small cost/requirement like an action or being out of combat... But that also means no total hp total hd recovery on any six hr nap

Last edited:

Remove ads