D&D (2024) How long should a Short rest be in 5E(2024)?

How long should a Short rest be?

• 1 Minute

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 5 Minutes

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • 15 Minutes

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • 1 Hour

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Removed!

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Other duration?

Votes: 16 16.5%

Vaalingrade

Legend
It leads to less strategy because there is no opportunity cost to that movement and there is no mechanical hooks remaining to support anything but close to target>stomp target>repeat.
That's all there was before.

No one was eating AoOs unless they absolutely had to and even if they could, they actually could not hit and run or attack in passing because you just straight up could not.

I get liking AoOs; I still use them, but let's not act like the ability to attack in the middle of a move removed strategy or that there was robust strategy in the charge-attack-attack routine.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's all there was before.

No one was eating AoOs unless they absolutely had to and even if they could, they actually could not hit and run or attack in passing because you just straight up could not.

I get liking AoOs; I still use them, but let's not act like the ability to attack in the middle of a move removed strategy or that there was robust strategy in the charge-attack-attack routine.
That's the point, tactical strategic steps were taken because you couldn't ignore relatively harmless mooks to geek the mage/bbeg & they couldn't do the same to your melees to squish your squishies because those squishy PCs & monsters had to move around & do things to protect themselves from the AoOs that just shooting a bow or casting a spell provoked.

Vaalingrade

Legend
That's the point, tactical strategic steps were taken because you couldn't ignore relatively harmless mooks to geek the mage/bbeg & they couldn't do the same to your melees to squish your squishies because those squishy PCs & monsters had to move around & do things to protect themselves from the AoOs that just shooting a bow or casting a spell provoked.
But there are better ways of doing this that don't just make everyone stop moving is the deal. I find having a kinetic combat is more valuable than a combat that stop to prevent a threat that is never realized because no one ever triggers them.

And the ranger and mage just took a 5 foot and did what they wanted anyway.

Remove ads