• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many 1st Level Fighters Should a 10th Level Fighter Beat?

How many 1st level fighters against 10th level one should be a fair fight?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 14 13.9%

Votes: 47 46.5%

Votes: 16 15.8%

Votes: 11 10.9%

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • More/not valid (please explain)

Votes: 10 9.9%

Quickleaf

Legend
9 standard D&D 1st level fighters should stand a chance against a 10th level fighter.

If they're minions multiply that by 6. You get 42. 42 minionized D&D 1st level fighters. That's the answer.

;)

Hassassin

First Post
9 standard D&D 1st level fighters should stand a chance against a 10th level fighter.

If they're minions multiply that by 6. You get 42. 42 minionized D&D 1st level fighters. That's the answer.

;)

I left the number out for a reason... I suspect offering 42 as an option is one of the simplest ways to destroy the validity of any polling data.

Celebrim

Legend
I used to write combat simulators for 1e on my C64 to figure out just what a fighter of a given level could be expected to handle.

I remember that for goblins or kobolds it was in the high hundreds. Even for 1st level fighters or orcs, it would have been more than 200 opponents assuming decent stats for the 10th level fighter and average ones for the 1st level fighters and no massed ranged weapons fire. I would expect that 3e plays out similarly, though with somewhat better odds for the monsters.

I personally feel that the number ought to be between 30 and 100, depending on the skill, tactics, and equipment of the 1st level fighters. Ranged weapons and reach weapons help the mooks quite a bit here, as would good armor. Obviously, if the mooks all have longbows and begin attacking at long range, the situation is much more favorable for the mooks than if they all have clubs and leather armor.

By 10th level, I feel that you are dealing with the storied figures of legend and song - Roland, Achilles, Cerano D'Bergerac, John Carter, etc.

In 4e terms, I guess 10th level = 15th level, so assume my answer is for 15th level if you are thinking on this from a 4e perspective.

keterys

First Post
Was it 1e you could kill something like your level goblins or other sub1HD critters by cleaving through them?

There is a _very_ big difference between X 1st level fighters in succession, one at a time, and all at once.

Assume they can all attack. You probably have to give them ranged weapons to do that, but why wouldn't they have those?

100 1e 1st level fighters will hit the fighter 5 times per round and he'll drop in 4 rounds or less, having killed about 4 of them. Even with only 40, start at 2 hits and decrease by .05 hits per round, the fighter is still dead before he kills even half of them.

Now, a level 10 wizard - different story. He uses one spell to make himself immune to all of them, then kills them at his leisure ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads