• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many teachers on the boards?

Jdvn1 said:
Cool! Good luck! Tell us how it goes?
I completed a semester of student teaching and had just begun my second when another teacher in the department (English) quit (the school refused to accept his policy of giving away answers on standardized exams and so rather than deal with the powers-that-be, he left an opening for me.) As the most charismatic teacher at the school, he had a large, cultish role of students. Rather than try to disperse the cult, I had to become its new leader. This was not an easy task, but I did it and developed a real rapport with my 170 students (juniors and freshmen). The school ended up losing a total of 3 of the 7 teachers in the department, so I figured I was a shoe-in. This was the job I really wanted, but didn't get.

It was the only place I applied, and I was really bummed when I didn't get it. The fact that this internship suddenly made me the primary breadwinner in the marriage didn't help.

I still have four more units to finish, or rather, four more units to repeat because I didn't put the effort into the classes the first time, but I'm scrambling to get a new job. I've just applied at my wife's alma mater and am waiting to be called for an interview.

wish me luck.

kenobi65

First Post
I'm not a teacher (I work in advertising), but my wife is an elementary-school teacher.

I joke that we have a karmic balance...one of us has a job that benefits humanity, and one of us has a job that acutually lets us afford to live. :)

Though not currently teaching, I've taught English and journalism at the secondary level (everything from 7th-12th except 8th grade), though I only spent about two and a half years doing so. I also taught a human relations for the classroom teacher course last fall (fall 2005).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
wish me luck.
Good to know--I'm always surprised at how difficult it is to find a teaching job sometimes. Some areas are really hurting in that area.

Good luck! (and continue to keep us updated. :) )

WmRAllen67

First Post
Not a teacher, but this semester I'll be serving as a Teaching Assistant for the "History of China to 1600" course at my university...

Aside from good food and wuxia, it's all new to me, too-- any advice on being "one step ahead with the book in my hands" from folks who've been there?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
For some strange reason, I report back for duty on 10 August even though the students don't come back until the day after Labor Day. What the heck I'm going to be doing for three weeks without students is beyond me, but I'm sure it'll be painfully boring and pointless.

For the rest of the summer, much like the previous part of the summer, I'm hanging out with my children, getting a little writing done here and there, sometimes working on year plans for my classes, et cetera. Same old, same old.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads