• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much are your characters like you?

How much are your characters like you?

• 100% (Except for the magic and such)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 90% (Pretty much just like me)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 80% (Quite a bit like myself)

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 70% (Mostly like me)

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • 60% (More similar than different)

Votes: 37 20.7%
  • 50% (About half me and half made up)

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • 40% (More different that similar)

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • 30% (A certain amount like me)

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • 20% (Not too much like me)

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • 10% (Not much like me at all)

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 0% (Completely different from me)

Votes: 8 4.5%

I suppose I always have something in common with all of my characters, but what we have in common, and to what degree, varies a great deal. Two of my PC's are both very much like me, at least in my mind, but the two of them are pretty disimilar from one another.

I guess that most of my PCs take a single personality trait of mine and magnify it to the nth degree. In theater, I have always been a bit of a method actor, though, so after playing one PC for a while, I find that their personality tends to show through me in real life, which can be a little weird, frankly.

orsal

LEW Judge
I think my characters are generally "what I would be if I were [...] and somewhat [...]". That is, I'll come up with a few personality traits, traits that may have nothing to do with the RL me, and deliberately adopt them, but beyond that part that I'm deliberate and explicit about, the character will end up behaving a lot like me.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I voted "20% - not too much like me".

But, to be fair, I simply do not pretend I am my characters in the way that other gamers I know do. There's no identification - I've likened my roleplaying to my character being a close friend that I know better than anyone else at the table, and reporting what they would do in that situation on the basis of that extensive knowledge of their personality.

Since there's no self-identification involved, my characters are neither people whom I would like to be or somewhat-idealised versions of myself.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Like me? Nah. Also, somewhat (or more) sane characters aren't as disruptive and I don't like being too disruptive.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I don't know if I could actually vote on this poll.... 'Cause it's different for each of my characters. There was one I played who was, for the most part, my personality embodied onto this character. She had a similar attitude and crassness that I have RL. But the rest haven't really been any part of me; or not as blatant as that one character.

Arbiter of Wyrms said:
I guess that most of my PCs take a single personality trait of mine and magnify it to the nth degree.
That's what I do. Its what I find easiest, because I'm not much of an actor.

However, each PC's back story is very different to my own, so at times they are going to react completely differently to how I would in the same situation due to their very different upbringing and experiences.

Also, I normally play D&D, which is a heroic fantasy game. My PCs are invariably much more heroic than I am. They also normally have less angst. My PCs are where they want to be, and doing what they want to be doing. They believe its better to have a bad day in the dungeon than a good day in the office, whereas I don't ......

I didn't vote in the poll because I have no idea how to translate the above into percentage terms.

shilsen

Adventurer
mhacdebhandia said:
I voted "20% - not too much like me".

But, to be fair, I simply do not pretend I am my characters in the way that other gamers I know do. There's no identification - I've likened my roleplaying to my character being a close friend that I know better than anyone else at the table, and reporting what they would do in that situation on the basis of that extensive knowledge of their personality.

Since there's no self-identification involved, my characters are neither people whom I would like to be or somewhat-idealised versions of myself.
I voted the same way, for exactly the same reasons. In fact, sometimes I will actually create a character based on myself for a change. They're usually very entertaining to play, but I doubt that would be the case if it wasn't a rare occurrence. In real life I am exactly who I want to be and get along very well with myself, but since I get to roleplay myself in real life all the time, it seems a waste to do so again when running a PC.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I'd say 60% of me goes into my characters on average. Usually certain parts of me are magnified other parts are down played and I try to think about how someone would act who lived the life my character had and then I toss in personality traits from other people who I know. Which is obviously my opinion therefore some of me goes into my character from that thought process too. It's impossible to make a character completely disimilar to yourself. At the very least you both proably have 2 arms and 2 legs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads