D&D 5E How on earth is this balanced?! Twilight cleric, more in-play evidence

Redwizard007

Adventurer
If the Monk managed to actually hit him 3 times in a turn and the dragon rolled below a 5 on his save against stunning strike all three times that same turn, it is not because the party is OP, it is because the party is very, very lucky.
Naw, bruh. It means the monk is OP. Probably one of those 5 elements yahoos.

Horwath

Legend
Sack your DM; he sucks.

The only 3 CR 23 Monsters in the SRD are the Kraken, and Ancient Silvers and Blues, which are at +16/17 to hit, with save DC's of 23/24, 3 legendary saves, AC's of around 18-22, and close to 500HP.

Monsters by CR - 5th Edition (5e) SRD

If they're missing a lot, or your PCs are dealing 500 damage against AC 20 in a single round, something else is going wrong.
4 Elven fighters(samurai) with elven accuracy and sharpshooter, +3 bows,
Action surge 4×8 attacks with advantage, 630 damage on average from 600ft, vs. AC22

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Action surge 4×8 attacks with advantage, 630 damage on average from 600ft, vs. AC22
I mean, sure, if every single player in the party is running the exact same build, how often does that happen though?

Horwath

Legend
I mean, sure, if every single player in the party is running the exact same build, how often does that happen though?
this is just a simple example for DPS,

also I didnt calculate crit damage and possibility of Piercer feat. Then it comes up to 690 damage in a round.

Even if it's only one character, it's 172,5 damage in a round. Other 3 or 4 PCs might sum up the rest(315 HPs left)

No, it's not a simple example, the PCs you used were 3 levels higher than the parties level (20th and not 17th), they're all Fighters (so DPR kings in a contest made to be about DPR) - laughably seeing as there is a different thread about how Fighters suck - it's happening in a white room without a DM, AND the PCs are Nova-ing.

If you want a direct comparison Aura of Life is a 4th level concentration spell. Aura of life will literally stop any ally within 30 feet from staying down for its 10-minute duration. Period. Your allies can not be kept down at all and can't be killed unless an enemy does enough damage on a hit to kill them outright or hits them so many times they get 3 failed death saves before their turn starts. Anything less and the ally gets 1 hp and is swinging a sword and slinging spells on his turn. Anything that can punch through all that to kill an ally before his turn comes around will EASILY punch through the temp hps he gets with TS as well. With Aura of Life active a level 3 Barbarian will beat a CR15 Purple Worm 1V1 and there is nothing the Worm can do to win (as long as the Worm stays within 30 feet and does not lose concentration).
The purple worm can swallow the barbarian, and that will block Aura of Life's line of effect. Unless the worm swallows the cleric too before the barbarian dies.

also I didnt calculate crit damage and possibility of Piercer feat. Then it comes up to 690 damage in a round.

Even if it's only one character, it's 172,5 damage in a round. Other 3 or 4 PCs might sum up the rest(315 HPs left)

Again, you're using 20th level PCs (the level was 17th) with legendary magical gear, in a white room, nova-ing,i in an encounter without a DM.

I assure you, I could challenge a party of 17th level equipped PCs with a CR 23 Dracolich.

Not kill them of course, because It's only just a Deadly encounter (they're expected to win) and such an encounter is barely 1/3 of that days expected encounter budget).

Horwarth, stat up your 5 x 17th level PCs for me and we can run the encounter if you want?

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
A Kraken is immune to all that damage, so you can roll 630 damage but it does not lose any hps. On top of that you can only shoot a longbow 150 feet under water and those attacks are at disadvantage (or straight up using the Samauri bonus action), so the elven accuracy feat is irrelevant.

Against either an ancient blue or silver dragon some or all of the samaurais will be frightened, which will give them disadvantage on their attacks and again make EA irrelevant.

Last edited:

Remove ads