D&D General How serious are your D&D games?

How serious are your D&D games?

• A complete farce (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lots of humour (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • Mostly serious, with moments of levity (Lord of the Rings)

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • Deadly serious at all times (Conan the Barbarian)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Wallows in misery (Game of Thrones)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I keep wanting to argue for something between GotG and LotR, and then I keep adding caveats that drag it back towards the sillier side of that middle.

Really, it's just that I try to present realistic goals, stakes, difficulties, and people to interact with, and it's not my goal to be funny. Once the actual adventuring parties interact with those things, it tends to default to humor. I'm definitely not above putting in a comic relief character or scene myself every so often though.

long hair comedy GIF

Conan the Barbarian - Deadly serious? Seriously?

I went with "mostly serious, with moments of levity" in how I design my adventures and run my games. But in practice my games can be more humorous than that - a lot of the humor comes from the PCs and what they do and say.

jgsugden

Legend
My campaign setting is like tv. I borrow, beg and steal from tv, books, movies, comics and every other type of storytelling I encounter. To that end, some of my games are drama, and some are farces. Some are high brow, others gutter dwelling. Some are popcorn movie action, and some are mysteries.

I begin a new group with a few sessions as a diagnostic. Then I use that inform ation to set a goal for how I'll balance the game around the style of the payers - but I try to sample everything. There will be family drama, action, mystery, comedy ... all of it - just in different ratios.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In the past, my games (not just D&D, but in general) have tended to be Mostly Serious, but more recently have leaned to Lots of Humor.

I think this has less to do with the game itself, but the role the game plays in our lives right now, and how it fits into our schedules. When you only have a few hours every couple of weeks to play like this, leaning to humor just makes the play more effectively playful.

Last edited:

Remove ads