D&D 5E How should be the future Oriental Adventures.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't think we'll get a generic Oriental Adventures for 5e.

Given the current trend, it is more likely we'll get a smaller book from MtG such as Kamigawa. If that's too small, we might be lucky and get a combined hardcover with Rabiah and Tarkir.

darjr

I crit!
I’m of Japanese descent. I was thrilled in my youth when I heard about that book. Actually getting it was, well I don’t own a copy now nor will I ever. I don’t wan’t to see it go down the memory hole, however. What I want? Is an authentic treatment of Japanese myth done D&D style. Same for Chinese myth and Korean, and several others. Done with respect and including experts from those cultures.
Oh and to add. I want a way that folks could add those elements to their campaign. And to the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk and maybe others.

Mirtek

Hero
What I want? Is an authentic treatment of Japanese myth done D&D style. Same for Chinese myth and Korean, and several others. Done with respect and including experts from those cultures.
But why? D&D has never done that for any european myth and culture.

The D&D treatment is having a japanese samurai from the Edo period fighting a chinese monster from some Han period myth in a background inspired by the Korean Goryeo period. Just like a gothic knight stalking an ancient greek Hydra in an medieval english forest.

D&D has never aimed to do any of it's elements with accuracy or research but lives from "rule of cool" applied to "popculture/hollywood" ideas of what ancient times and myths looked like.

D&D is "300" not "History of Ancient Greek The Grand Textbook Collection Issue 1"

The D&D treatment is having a japanese samurai from the Edo period fighting a chinese monster from some Han period myth in a background inspired by the Korean Goryeo period. Just like a gothic knight stalking an ancient greek Hydra in an medieval english forest.

D&D has never aimed to do any of it's elements with accuracy or research but lives from "rule of cool" applied to "popculture/hollywood" ideas of what ancient times and myths looked like.

D&D is "300" not "History of Ancient Greek The Grand Textbook Collection Issue 1"
You can find a happy medium between the two. Just look at the recent Theros book. Yeah, it's obviously not 100% historically accurate and paints in very broad strokes, but then you get things like a more or less authentic ancient Greek calendar (with intercalary months!) and you can see they did their research. That's probably one of the better routes to take with this, to find a happy medium between fantasy and reality that shows that some thought and research (with appropriate advisors) has been put into it.

I agree.

And, To add to this because it was a point I was going to make: D&D has borrowed from and bastardized pretty much every myth and culture. As someone with Celtic heritage, I understand that the Druid in D&D is not the same as the one from history. Or that Banshees aren't dead 'elves'.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to having a more filtered setting based on Celtic Mythology. It's rich and exciting. It would be amazing to reclaim some of those monsters from the MM and put them into a setting that reflects their actual nature. I'm also happy to share those stories with whomever wants to hear them.

The idea of tearing out every scrap of actual myth out of D&D wouldn't leave a lot left.

darjr

I crit!

But with respect and care so as not to make another OA.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases