D&D 5E How to "fix" (or at least help) the fighter/wizard dynamic. (+)

How to best help Fighters get shenanigans to bridge the gap to Wizards?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I removed the comment because I doubt it is helpful for your needs in your thread. But, it is an informed, calm, guarantee. I will only play an RPG that has effective caster classes and similar.
I appreciate that, but you are of course entitled to your opinion and views!

I have another version that keeps it normal until level 11, then slows things down a bit but still allows 9th level spells at 20th level.

(You get 7th level spells at 14th, 8th level spells at 17th, and 9th level spells at 20th.)

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I appreciate that, but you are of course entitled to your opinion and views!

I have another version that keeps it normal until level 11, then slows things down a bit but still allows 9th level spells at 20th level.
Balancewise, the full-caster classes are fine overall.

I wouldnt mess with them substantially.

If a setting needs low-magic, just use the part-casters.

I do the opposite for the Feywild setting. There, the Fey embody magic. Martial classes dont exist. Only full-caster classes (plus Paladin and Monk) are available. For an eladrin or a satyr to learn how to be a Fighter or Rogue, they typically become part of a human culture in the Material Plane.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If a setting needs low-magic, just use the part-casters.
Because there are other features for most casters that aren't just spells.

But, we did nerf bards to make them half-casters. At one point Sorcerers were subclasses of Wizards and Warlocks were a subclass of Clerics, as well.

Anyway... back to the Fighter. :)

Yaarel

He Mage
Because there are other features for most casters that aren't just spells.

But, we did nerf bards to make them half-casters. At one point Sorcerers were subclasses of Wizards and Warlocks were a subclass of Clerics, as well.
I love the full-caster Bard. Its mythological accuracy is significant.

Half-casters are an appealing setting approach.

For low-magic mages, the Paladin makes a great Tolkien Gandalf concept.

The Trickster makes a great "magician" concept.

The Ranger makes a great nature magic concept. Barbarian too.

The Monk makes a great East-Asian-esque concept.

I would reserve Eldritch Knight for a high elf culture specifically.

Psi Knight is awesome for a telekinetic concept.

The Artificer covers many concepts, including magic item creator, potion brewer, alchemist, and perhaps in the future a necromancer with an undead "pet".

5e has excellent options for this lower magic mood.

Anyway... back to the Fighter. :)

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
We just prefer it as a half caster like in 3E, as a full caster the class is too strong.

Theme-wise I think the class is pretty solid.
If you look into Celtic folkbelief about Bards, including Taliesin and Merlin, they are full casters. Some of the slot 9 spells like Shapechange derive from the reallife Bard traditions.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If you look into Celtic lore about Bards, including Taliesin and Merlin, they are clearly full casters. Some of the slot 9 spells like Shapechange derive from the reallife Bard lore.
D&D doesn't reflect real world lore IMO, so I just go with it. ;)

Yaarel

He Mage
D&D doesn't reflect real world lore IMO, so I just go with it. ;)
D&D reflects real world lore for the Celtic Bard.

Moreover, mythological accuracy is increasing important because of cultural sensitivity, to represent various cultural heritages respectfully and accurately.

Remove ads